Ron Delta comedian

I met Ron in the Marples and while we were stood at the bar having a drink I noticed he had a piece of cotton on his jacket, I tried to pick it off and the cotton got longer and longer, he had put a bobbin of cotton in his inside pocket and then thread it through his jacket. I still laugh about it now.

He was a very funny guy he was at the smithywood club one night and they had a concert secretary there called Mr liversage, Ron would call him Mr liversausage he used to get him so confused the poor old guy would start pressing the wrong buttons and the stage curtains would start going backwards and forwards the lights would go on and off and all sorts people would be falling about laughing ,he said do you want to come on the stage here Mr liversausage you could make a good light comedienne,Mr liversage would be sat there in his box sucking on his pipe... Ron was a very funny man fond memories..

We gave him a lift from Tinsley WMC to the pub on the Moor had it stitches all these way don't make him anymore very funny guy At to be at the club he was on at 7pm (that's when they opened) to get a seat

Ron used to do the Travellers on the Moor [when the Moor was the Moor] with Vera on the organ and I think Bobby on the Drums ,What a pub that was with the resident puffs behind the bar and a parrot or some kind of bird telling all and sundry to flick off.

Sheffield at its best .

I knew Ron Delta very well as I used to have a shop in Stavely, Near Chesterfield and Ron used to pop in as he lived around the corner with his wife Marjory?? And her daughter Josephine. Ron even told me that he had to give up show business as he was going blind with Sugar Glucoma, and couldn't drive, so I volunteered to be his driver and going to his gigs realised what a very clever, funny guy he was on and off stage, and met some lovely people along the way. He confided in me that prior to his illness ITV asked him to do a pilot show, but he had to refuse, so they found another comedian to fill his shoes and the show was called Sez Lez ( yes Les Dawson). Rons real name was Johnny Jenkins and he was originally from Liverpool and was treading the boards with his Mum and Dad from the age of 6 years of age.i finally got rid of my shop and moved away from the area, but still have lovely fond memories of a lovely man 25 years ago.

Doug Muir

Hi guys, just a quick question. Does anyone have any photos of Ron anywhere? Thanks, hayley

Hi guys, just a quick question. Does anyone have any photos of Ron anywhere? Thanks, hayley

Hi Hayley. There is a web site ( cant remember what it's called) that has hundreds of photos of old club acts on. There are a couple of pics of Ron Delta on there. If you google a few things to do with old club acts or working mens clubs acts you might come across it. Anyone else know of the website?

Thank you ?

Apparently my paternal grandfather was Johnny Jenkins and I'm just trying to do a bit of research for my dad. it's such a shame that he has passed away. Sounds like a funny guy.

Is this the Ron Delta who also appeared in "The Price of Coal "

an episode of BBC's Play for Today, back in the late 1970's?

Is this the Ron Delta who also appeared in "The Price of Coal "

an episode of BBC's Play for Today, back in the late 1970's?

Yes he was in it with Bobby Knutt and Dougie Brown.

Hello Wells Fargo Man. I too thought Ron Delta was in 'The Price of Coal' and after seeing this thread had a look on Youtube. Although there is a Ron Delta in the cast list I couldn't see him. He plays the roll of Mr. Dobson. Perhaps there is/was another actor called Ron Delta.

It's a pity there doesn't seem to be any photos of him on the web.

Yes he was in it with Bobby Knutt and Dougie Brown.

Perhaps a bit off the subject but any one recall a TV film -filmed in Sheffield maybe late 70's- about a bloke that kept pigeons on the part of Parkwood Springs or Shirecliffe that looks toward Penistone Road. I think a Sheffield comic in it ?

Perhaps a bit off the subject but any one recall a TV film -filmed in Sheffield maybe late 70's- about a bloke that kept pigeons on the part of Parkwood Springs or Shirecliffe that looks toward Penistone Road. I think a Sheffield comic in it ?

The Bird Fancier (Pigeon Fancier?) starring Michael Elphick?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1126672

Edited by nikki-red