Help! Burglar alarm won't stop!

Last night, just before going to bed, I turned on the upstairs hall light and it blew, tripping out the upstairs lighting.

An hour later, the burglar alarm went off. We tried for 15 minutes to stop it, but nothing we tried work. (It's a rented property and we've only just moved in.)

Finally it stopped of its own accord. We needed sleep so went to bed. At 6am it went off again. After 15 minutes it still wouldn't stop. This time, when I typed in the code, it stopped the internal alarm, but the outside alarm is still going.

It just keeps flashing 'unset' and 'tamper', and we can't stop it.

The other problem is the upstairs lighting. In the breaker box, there are fuses for downstairs lighting, sockets, cooker etc., but NONE for upstairs lighting. Turning the mains on and off again does nothing. Why is there no circuit breaker for the upstairs lighting? Could there be a second box somewhere? Can't find anything...

Please help.

Have u take the blown buld out yet? Dunno if that will help or not.

Phone the number on the alarm box ?? They might be able to help

Contact the Landlord.

If he had it installled then he should get it fixed. Or he should know who is responsible for it.

I'm sure someone will correct me but I think they are supposed to cut off after a certain period of time otherwise it will be classified as a disturbance and the police could be involved. It might be the crime of the century.

I think I read somewhere they are supposed to go off after 20 minutes.

Probably the alarm is wired into the same circuit as the lights. Often the switch or fuse is unlabelled to prevent a burglar from just switching it off.

The tamper fault suggests power has been cut, so make sure all the breakers are in the on position, ie up not down or in middle position.

You might I suppose have some separate fuses somewhere, depends on the house.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Still no luck. It's been sounding off for hours now. Landlady uncommunicative.

Offending lightbulbs removed. Cannot for the life of me find where the upstairs lighting fuse is/was, but it's certainly not in the main box (which we've reset several times.)

Located the main burglar alarm box in the loft. Have removed the front panel but don't know what to do next. Can I disconnect the battery? Do I need to turn power off at the mains first? Will disconnecting the battery even stop the alarm?

It could be the battery that needs replacing. They are for back-up and last about 5 years I'm told. Your landlady should know when it was last replaced. Turn the power off then remove the battery.

It could be the battery that needs replacing. They are for back-up and last about 5 years I'm told. Your landlady should know when it was last replaced. Turn the power off then remove the battery.

Which unfortunately might not stop the sounder immediately as there might be a second battery in there. It's used so that a potential burglar chopping the wire to the sounder box, sets it off rather than silencing it.

Any of your neighbours got a ladder; I'm sure they would assist trying to silence the thing.

Which unfortunately might not stop the sounder immediately as there might be a second battery in there. It's used so that a potential burglar chopping the wire to the sounder box, sets it off rather than silencing it.

Any of your neighbours got a ladder; I'm sure they would assist trying to silence the thing.

Turn power off. Take panel off front off control panel take fuse out . Get a ladder take front off bell box take battery out. Systymn now shut down,

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 11:01 ----------

The reason alarm went of is because battery in control panel is dead. Wen lights tripped must have been on same fuse as alarm . Find fuse or trip for lights replace fuse. Switch power back on put code back in alarm should switch off. Try to do this before you mess with control panel // Check all fuses as lights may be connected to another fuse // If code does not work try 12345 as it may have gone back to factory settings or 9999. // there is a fuse blown some were // Most likely upstairs and down stairs on same fuse./

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 12:50 ----------

Has it stopped yet ./ Could you let forum members know this when problem solved it encourages them to help other membes //Called good manners.

Edited by spider1

Has it stopped yet ./ Could you let forum members know this when problem solved it encourages them to help other membes //Called good manners.

Give the guy a chance. He may not have sorted it out yet!!

That is good manners.

Give the guy a chance. He may not have sorted it out yet!!

That is good manners.

If its a woman i apologise / If its a man hes been told how to do it. Its a 5 min job ./Should say area its in if he cant sort it most sparkies could sort it and plenty good lads on here especially to help a lady in dsitress .

Edited by spider1