Best Wards pubs

The Earl of Arundel, it was like wine, I can never remember having a good pint of Wards in the Hermitage.

Yes there is a long thread about grimesthorpe but that area used to be a boozers paradise at one time,not a one left now..sad sign of the times,same as where I live at lane top all the pubs have gone here as well,only place to go for a pint within walking distance is the lane top wmc...

Is the 'Ball' Upwell Street, still going ?

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 23:47 ----------

Manchester Hotel (now new Harlequin), Nursery Street was good pint of 'Ward's as any !

Worked at viners ltd in mid 70's, so spent our lunch break in the domino,top pint of wards as i recall. Agree with the Manchester hotel nursery street,took some beating.Roebuck tavern ,charles street,another wards pub,back in the day,always a good one.

On 12/03/2017 at 17:26, bothamlad said:

Worked at viners ltd in mid 70's, so spent our lunch break in the domino,top pint of wards as i recall. Agree with the Manchester hotel nursery street,took some beating.Roebuck tavern ,charles street,another wards pub,back in the day,always a good one.

I used to drink in the Roebuck in the 70's (underage!) - it was a good pint in a basic decent pub.  Got spoilt by the time I was able to drink legally - money spent on it, much changed and one of the then popular "plastic pubs" with all character forensically removed.

When we moved out of Sheff there were a few pubs around the outskirts of Barnsley / Rotherham selling Wards

but the locals weren't sure about the smell ????????

My reply was always, Did you buy a pint to smell it or Sup it?

strange lot out here -lol

The Domino brings back memories of 'Jack the Lad' (Wolf J Flywheel)

Happy days.

Keep safe.

Wards was the most fowl tasting brew ,I have ever tried , it stunk , it gave you the craps , it gave you a head ache and  was a funny shade of greeny brown sludge , Stoneses  jungle juice was by far the traditional Sheffielders choice of ale , this was the to be had in the Towns most famous pubs at the time , The Adelphi and The Red Lion on Holly Street ,  On the five minute walk between these two citadels of famous Town pubs you avoided owt with a pub sign that said Wards sold here . Only John Smiths Manet (sold in Dodgers ) came any where near Stoneses jungle juice .

39 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Wards was the most fowl tasting brew ,I have ever tried , it stunk , it gave you the craps , it gave you a head ache and  was a funny shade of greeny brown sludge , Stoneses  jungle juice was by far the traditional Sheffielders choice of ale , this was the to be had in the Towns most famous pubs at the time , The Adelphi and The Red Lion on Holly Street ,  On the five minute walk between these two citadels of famous Town pubs you avoided owt with a pub sign that said Wards sold here . Only John Smiths Manet (sold in Dodgers ) came any where near Stoneses jungle juice .

Agree 100%

The Shoulder of Mutton in  Worrall was a good pint when Bill Fisher kept it,he came from the Hermitage  London  Rd.

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Wards was the most fowl tasting brew ,I have ever tried , it stunk , it gave you the craps , it gave you a head ache and  was a funny shade of greeny brown sludge.

100% agree ----- & the problem was?

Red Lion underage  Happy days Hic !

Had a few in the Grindstone, Crookes many years back and thought it was a cracking pint.

Used to enjoy after playing for Midland and Crown(both Wards) but our lads wasn't a fan having to put up with the smell.

Guest makapaka
On 19/04/2021 at 08:48, cuttsie said:

I was late to the party but never got over my first few pints of wards for all same reasons.