Best Wards pubs

That was my dad favourite haunt for many a year.... and as a kid I remember spending many an hour sat on the wooden benches in the undercroft outside.

Pete Flynn was the Landlord there for a few years,he was a friend of mine he past away a few years ago.

I remember a letter in the Star many years ago, from the former head brewer at Wards, he said that no one else could produce Wards bitter, because the local water used in the brewing process was what gave it that slight sulpher smell, which was very apparent with a bad pint! He said that Jennings (and I think Vaux tried making it as well), could make a nice pint but it would not taste like Wards.

Trying to think of the name of the Wards pub that was at the bottom of Granville Road (The Queens Ground?) used to go for lunch when I was at Granville College.

Just thinking about what I wrote above, I am sure I am correct in saying that the former head brewer said that only the local water in Sheffield could make Wards taste like Wards. If that is true, why doesn't one of the local real ale brewers (Abbeydale, Kelham Island, etc.) buy the recipe and start making it? Anyone got any contacts at the breweries??

Just thinking about what I wrote above, I am sure I am correct in saying that the former head brewer said that only the local water in Sheffield could make Wards taste like Wards. If that is true, why doesn't one of the local real ale brewers (Abbeydale, Kelham Island, etc.) buy the recipe and start making it? Anyone got any contacts at the breweries??

Now that sounds like a mighty fine idea...

Oh god yes, Pete Flynn... on the occasions I was allowed inside during the colder days I used to sit on a stool at the end of the bar and was told that if a policeman came in to say... "i'm going upstairs now Uncle Pete" and go behind the bar and up the staircase inbetween the two bars.

midland at killermarsh was wards I think

Workmate of mine used Jack as his local,never out he raved about the Wards in there,only ever went in at my Aunt Pats funeral a few years ago and Wards had gone by then.

Just out of interest Dobby what's his name, PM me if you don't want it broadcast.

Pete

Pete Flynn was the Landlord there for a few years,he was a friend of mine he past away a few years ago.

His son, also called Pete, was a good mate of mine and he had the Manchester on Nursery Street. His other son, I think they called him Tom, had the Monkey on Neepsend.

His son, also called Pete, was a good mate of mine and he had the Manchester on Nursery Street. His other son, I think they called him Tom, had the Monkey on Neepsend.

Petes sons were, Pete Mick Tom and Jimmy, Tom's a friend see him every now and then he runs the bar at the British legion club chapeltown,his brother Mick was killed on a motorbike a few years ago.. about his other brother Pete the last time I heard he was running a bar in Florida America..

Petes sons were, Pete Mick Tom and Jimmy, Tom's a friend see him every now and then he runs the bar at the British legion club chapeltown,his brother Mick was killed on a motorbike a few years ago.. about his other brother Pete the last time I heard he was running a bar in Florida America..

Yes Pete did leave for Florida, he ran a bar in Tampa Bay. I saw his wife Janet a good few years ago on New Years Eve in the Dial. I had some cracking nights with them in the Manchester. I also lived up the road from the Industry so used to go in there every now and then.

One of the best nights was actually upstairs in the Monkey for a 'Gentlemens' night.

Edited by Sheffvlad
Typo

The one across the road from the brewery (Ecclesall Rd.) was the Devonshire Arms,

the Wards pub on London Road at the corner of Albert Road is the Crown Inn.

I never had a bad pint in the Devonshire and I had quite a few. My Uncle Bill lived in one of the Broomhall tower blocks and had a chip shop in Eccleshall Road, near the Nursery [Home Ales?]. Several pints in the Devonshire with him and me dad was a Sunday treat when I were a lad!

Any pub that served WARDS fine malt ale was a favorite. The domino was my local as i used to live on the flats. I think the original landlords name was trevor,and was in the Guards.Last time i was in sheffield i stopped in the Barrel. The pub accross the road , the tramways,was also on my rounds.Sorry to see the condition of the site now.I also remember the Hemitage, sunday morning topless dancers.(or so i am told) SHARROWYANK

If my memory serves me right wasn't the Dominos first landlords name Sam? EX SUT driver I was in on the opening night and he barred me it was a free jukebox and I repeatedly put the funky chicken on around 12 to 15 times as a joke he didn't see the funny side and turned awkward with me we had an argument and the rest is history I lived on High Fitzwilliam back then.

---------- Post added 24-09-2013 at 01:14 ----------

The furthest away wards pub I can think of was the pub on the A38 near Tamworth in Derbyshire can't remember the name of it,its a Indian restaurant now,infact there was another one a bit further up the road near the old Great Bear airfield at Fraggle park, I sometimes used to call in on the way to Telford when we lived there for a few years,

I remember having a pint of WARDS in the White Hart just off Putney bridge London was told by the then manager that there was three pubs selling WARDS in London.

I remember having a pint of WARDS in the White Hart just off Putney bridge London was told by the then manager that there was three pubs selling WARDS in London.

When I first moved down south I lived in Kilburn, where the only decent ale was in the Queens Head [maybe Arms] at No 1 Kilburn High Road [Youngs]. After a few years of this deprivation a pub down Maida Vale, on the way to Marylebone Station [can't remember its name] started selling Wards. This was after the takeover by Vaux. The Wards wasn't bad [for London] but not a patch on how I remember it in the Devonshire.