Tesco butchers shut for eid?

I can't understand why more shops don't open on Christmas Day, surely there are enough staff who are Muslims, Jews and atheists, plus other religions who could run the larger stores whilst all the Christians are spending the day in church.

Anyway, just to play Devil's advocate a little more, have you seen this?

heh

well, we have a couple of generations of ENGLISH muslims now :P

If you are going to make claims of this nature then I expect you to provide the proof - please do so or retract your statement

I will retract then. Should have been a question mark after 'as well'.

Each employer is different. Some may allow a paid day off, some may not.

What makes you believe that Muslims wouldn't use one of their annual leave days to celebrate Eid?

Make what people open? Do tesco only employ Muslim butchers? Are (insert other religion here) butchers not allowed to work on that counter?

I think that hal-al meat, would traditionally be served by Muslim people. As said before the main butchers in the tesco was open.

Every worker gets paid holidays, by law.

Every worker gets paid holidays, by law.

I don't...

I have to admit this topic has touched a bit of a nerve....I don't class myself as racist but I do feel some employers are quicker to give certain privileges for this sort of thing. I also believe it is because they are scared of having the race card played against them! I myself work with someone who was able to take an extra day for Eid (of their allocated A/L) but only the day before when we have to have all A/L requests in 14 days before required. If they knew they needed it surely they knew what week it would fall in and taken this important religous week off earlier in the year. Also was allowed on the previous weeks shifts to start half an hour earlier and finish earlier to go home and eat (Ramadan). I definately would not be allowed to do so on my shift. Again I am not against the religious aspect etc but when it is obvious that other employees doing the same job do not get the same treatment it is wrong. If you cannot do a job and work the allocated hours because of your religion or beliefs you should not apply for that job. Sorry if this opens another can of worms.

In the Tesco on the Wicker there are TWO butchers. A normal one and a halal one. The halal one is run by the National Halal centre as a a sort of concession within Tesco. Given that the majority of their customers are not going to be out meat shopping in on Eid and a lot of their staff will presumably be Muslim then it would probably make sense for them to shut down on Eid.

Your husband should have asked and he would have been directed to the normal meat counter which would have been open.

In the Tesco on the Wicker there are TWO butchers. A normal one and a halal one. The halal one is run by the National Halal centre as a a sort of concession within Tesco. Given that the majority of their customers are not going to be out meat shopping in on Eid and a lot of their staff will presumably be Muslim then it would probably make sense for them to shut down on Eid.

Your husband should have asked and he would have been directed to the normal meat counter which would have been open.

Absolutely but then non of us would have known that inside his head was a conversation going "it's not fair, it's not fair...somebodies got something I haven't got, it's not fair" that causes him to jump to a whole range of conclusions where he is the victim, the badly done to etc..and it is always someone else's fault. It is always best to know who these people are don't you think?

i just feel the opening poster presumed all butchers in tesco were shut, he made a mistake, by not seeing the English butchers. I think he thought that tesco were shutting all butchers on EID, which would be understandable why he'd think this was wrong. I personally am not going to tell Muslims, when they should work, like they shouldn't tell Christians when they should work. Holidays, are important to all cultures, unfortunately we all have them on different days. If we accept that everyone is different, maybe life would be better.

If you cannot do a job and work the allocated hours because of your religion or beliefs you should not apply for that job. Sorry if this opens another can of worms.

Which would be religious discrimination. I used to have a neighbour who worked for a Crown Court judge who was an orthodox Jew. He refused to work Fridays - that's every Friday - and so any trial he presided over didn't sit on Friday. I dare say there are committed Christians who refuse to work on Christmas Day but that's no reason they shouldn't work for the emergency services. You are talking about one day a year and for that one day you say they should be excluded from so many jobs. Time to have that massive chip surgically removed from your shoulder.

Are they halal worms by the way?