'Firming up' a dog..

Hi all,

Recently been having a few issues with our dog's glands not emptying correctly and he's been a bit 'leaky' (I hope you're not eating lunch!) - not leaky stool, but as me and OH like to call it 'bum juice' :|

I have read a few things on the internet about pro-biotic yoghurt, reducing amount of food, carrot and pumpkin paste to firm it up so he empties them naturally through a firm stool.

Has anyone had any success with any of these, or any other things we can add to his food, or perhaps any particular brands of food which maybe have added 'stool hardeners'?

Thanks

I've had dogs all my life and never had a dog that has needed their glands doing. If fact until I came across the forum I never even knew it was an issue for dogs! :suspect:

My past dogs have all had firm stools as they always had meaty bones at least twice a week , my present dog has chicken carcass as the main stable so plenty of gristle and bone which keeps everything in check! Some people also like to have a starve day, personally I just feed once a day.

Edited by Evei

He has breakfast and dinner at the moment, would you suggest just doing one or the other then?

My husband used to give our dog more dog meal and a cheaper dog food, like Chappie, as they are not normally so rich.

Dogs, I believe don't need so much protein, whilst cats do need it.

Have you had him checked out by the vet? Maybe it's something physiological that is causing him to leak from the glands.

Have you had him checked out by the vet? Maybe it's something physiological that is causing him to leak from the glands.

He was checked very recently in that area when we took him for boosters and vet never brought anything up!

Sometimes a vet wont check the anal glands unless you specifically ask him to or tell him there is a problem. I would take the dog back to the vet & ask him to examine the glands. If you google 'leaking anal glands' or 'anal juice' you'll get a lot of sites. Most seem to suggest the problem is due to diet, but also that it can be due to anal sac infection.

Yes, we asked him specifically to check them to empty them and he said they were fine!

I read about posts having grain free diets, but the biscuits we feed him are for sensitive tummys and grain free.

I don't remember the exact brand as my OH buys the dry dog food in bulk and it lasts us forever, but it's some fairly upmarket biscuits for sensitive stomachs. He also gets a spoonful of butcher's superior to coat the biscuits in gravy and a little bit of meat to make them a bit more appetising. He doesn't get fed from the table, or any human food.

Edit: A lot of websites seem to recommend the raw food diet. I've heard of it, but unfamiliar with how to go about it. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions, maybe websites? I'm guessing you need a sort of diet plan. He's a fairly small chap, approx 11-12kg.

Edited by milliardo

I use CSJ dog food, their 'Champ!' one.

It helps with tummies and digestion, and gives nice firm stools.

Edit: A lot of websites seem to recommend the raw food diet. I've heard of it, but unfamiliar with how to go about it. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions, maybe websites? I'm guessing you need a sort of diet plan. He's a fairly small chap, approx 11-12kg.

As he is a small lad I would continue to feed twice a day. Smaller dogs seem to need little more often. Have a look here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9868005&highlight=raw+feeding#post9868005

Th best thing would be to go to one of the raw pet shops mentioned and get them to explain the ropes. Personally I find it easy and as I feed a mix of meats/ bones and left over (homemade) table scraps we don't bother with any extras (like vitamins/ oils) which some websites suggest. My dog has been on raw for 5 years and is lovely and healthy :)

It is not for everyone as you have to think about freezer space to store the food, but 1 drawer in my freezer feeds my 30Kg dog for 2-3 weeks.