Royal Oak - Mansfield Road

Does anyone know whats happening to the Royal Oak on Mansfield Road. The place has been empty for a while and the 'for sale \ to let' signs have been removed.

A funeral directors, apparently.

It was always like a morgue in there:D

Did they serve spirits?

The bar has recently been ripped out.

Apparently john hirst funeral directors.

It was a great pub years ago, it's a tragedy when pubs shut and get turned into other businesses, the pub is no longer the place it was (sadly)

I heard its going to be a mosque.

:lol:

Just been passed this today, it has scaffold outside and has been gutted out, what's happing with it?

I used to work there as a barman in the late 60s/70s I left then went back the landlord then was a guy called tom poole, then a guy called bob hillier I used to work the public bar more than the lounge. it was while working there I met my first long term partner we were together about 7 years, her dad was a man called jack Clarke who had the news agent at intake bus terminus I had some great times while there shame it's closed my name's steve if anyone remembers me

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 20:41 ----------

that's novel turning in to a funeral directors, it's usual to turn in to mini super markets or indian resturants, it was a great pub when I worked there many years ago now. but when you have a super market across the road selling cheep boose, wines and spirits pubs don't stand a chance these daysthere will be a time and not so far away WHEN PUBS WILL JUST BE a memory like working mens clubs. the same ASA OTHER FORMS OF ENTERTAINMENT

I used to work there as a barman in the late 60s/70s I left then went back the landlord then was a guy called tom poole, then a guy called bob hillier I used to work the public bar more than the lounge. it was while working there I met my first long term partner we were together about 7 years, her dad was a man called jack Clarke who had the news agent at intake bus terminus I had some great times while there shame it's closed my name's steve if anyone remembers me

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 20:41 ----------

that's novel turning in to a funeral directors, it's usual to turn in to mini super markets or indian resturants, it was a great pub when I worked there many years ago now. but when you have a super market across the road selling cheep boose, wines and spirits pubs don't stand a chance these daysthere will be a time and not so far away WHEN PUBS WILL JUST BE a memory like working mens clubs. the same ASA OTHER FORMS OF ENTERTAINMENT

Either that or pubs could evolve, into more continental style offerings.

I think a funeral place would look nice on there, going past on't bus seeing the coffins :hihi:

A shame they could not turn the old Elm Tree at Manor Top into something as it looks a mess.

It got sold at aution months ago. A friend of mine put a offer in but was outbid. Loads of pubs are going this way.