Advice needed**runaway tennants**

I'm after a bit of advice,I recently had a tennant do a runner from a property while they still had 2 months contract remaining.

On saturday morning the postman knocked on my door with a signed letter for me which contained both sets of keys, straight out of the blue.

How can I find out their new address????

I am wanting to take out a small claims case for the remaining rent.

I have tried calling them to get no answer and also their e-mail address has been cancelled,it auto returns my messages.

I know they have returned to Birkenhead which is where they originated from,but have no other info.

The wife was a teacher at Ecclesfield school,the head gave me a reference but the school is currently closed !!!!

Anyone got any ideas how I can find out where they have gone,this is only to contact them regarding the remaining contract.:huh::huh::huh:

Do you not have their deposit? Usually thats a months rent at least?

Schools are open in the summer, there's always a skeleton staff on hand to oversee contractors and the like.

Re-let the property and keep the deposit. That's only going to cost you perhaps a months rent at most, and the demand for rentals is high at the moment anyway. Just be thankful they didn't trash the joint (I presume you've checked already...?)

Re-let the property and keep the deposit. That's only going to cost you perhaps a months rent at most, and the demand for rentals is high at the moment anyway. Just be thankful they didn't trash the joint (I presume you've checked already...?)

I assume they are a responsible landlord and have left the deposit with the TDS? I think therefore they will have to prove they cannot contact the tennants first!

...but I agree with you-don't bother trying too hard and relet ASAP. It's better to lose a months rent than try and take them to court for that small amount I suspect! Tell the council its unoccupied and make sure they have paid council tax up to the date they left along with the other bills!

I guess you have insurance for that kind of thing though? I have only been on the other end of this with dodgy landlords:rant:

Yep I agree, don't bother trying to take them to court it's really not worth your bother.

If they left it in a good state then consider yourself lucky and just re-let it and accept it's just the way it is.

You won't get the money you want, you will end up paying court fee's and at the end of the day it'll be like getting blood from a stone.

the last thing you want is a protracted court battle over very little money, only for them to return to the property and exact revenge.

Try the electoral register

In which city?.....If they've only just gone it will show their address as the OP's property anyway I would think..

Do you not have their deposit? Usually thats a months rent at least?

Cheers all...

Yes I have the bond,which was 1 months rent,however this is in a government scheme and I cannot get hold of it straight away,rent was due this week and hasn't been paid into my account which is a bit of a pain in the neck as its left me short this month.

This government mandatory deposit scheme thing is a total waste of time.

Its supposed to protect both parties but I cannot get my hands on the bond until the contract is up or I receive written conformation from the runaway tenants,in the mean time I have bills to pay without getting income from the property.

The bond would cover this months rent,the property is already advertised and has received a lot of interest already.

But the point is...If I had told the tenants to get out before the lease was due to expire,I would expect ,at the least,a day in court and a load of hassle ,this is why I would like to chase up the case:(

You are thinking with your heart and not treating it like a business.

It will cost you money to go to court. No point.

If they come back for references, you know what to write...that's your revenge, not some vicarious day in court...

You should always plan for these contingencies and unexpected voids, it's part of the game I'm afraid.

Typical scousers mate, be thankful they've left your copper pipes and boiler behind! ;)