Cambridge Arcade, Cambridge Street?

I am confused as there appears to be a CAMBRIDGE ARCADE listed on Pinstone Street linking to Union Street, but also there was a Cambridge Arcade in the buildings next to the Sportsman Pub on Cambridge street? Is this correct?

been looking at the Cambridge street derelict buildings and there is a sign that says Cambridge Arcade. I can recall it as a set of rather cramped alternative shops like Pippys up some stairs, and it was known as the Arcade then. But what was the 'other' Cambridge Arcade on Pinstone Street?

Yes there was a Cambridge Arcade linking Pinstone St and Union St, it comprised a few shops including Barney Goodmans where we all had our suits made, a Hairdressers and one or two others which escape me.

I am confused as there appears to be a CAMBRIDGE ARCADE listed on Pinstone Street linking to Union Street, but also there was a Cambridge Arcade in the buildings next to the Sportsman Pub on Cambridge street? Is this correct?

been looking at the Cambridge street derelict buildings and there is a sign that says Cambridge Arcade. I can recall it as a set of rather cramped alternative shops like Pippys up some stairs, and it was known as the Arcade then. But what was the 'other' Cambridge Arcade on Pinstone Street?

The Cambridge Arcade on Pinstone Street linking Union Street had a number of

shops including J and H Jones jewellers, where we puchased my wifes wedding ring. At the bottom was the infamous El Mambo coffee bar etc. I think at the top was Barney Goodmans tailors. Do not remember an Arcade on on Cambridge St.

Suggs was on the corner of Pinstone St and Cambridge Arcade

Suggs was on the corner of Pinstone St and Cambridge Arcade

I think Suggs was on the corner of Pinstone Street and Charles Street

after Cambridge Arcade was demolished.

Edited by bazjea

Suggs was on the corner of Pinstone Street and Charles Street

Suggs Sports was adjacent to Cambridge Arcade, before the building that houses Specsavers was built.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18783&prevUrl=

then it moved into the premises that is now "Perfect-Home" on the corner of Charles Street and Pinstone Street.

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 19:22 ----------

Suggs was in the building where the green lamp post is, on the right, where the small group of people are gathered, in this photo of the Old Cambridge Arcade

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield/s00330.jpg

Don't forget Hodgson's camera shop! Remember their famous sale? - queues round the block. I remember buying a camera there for 6d, and a case for it for 1d.

Hodgson camera shop later became the booking office of Sheffield United Tours.

Does anyone remember the blind match seller who used to stand at the end of Cambridge Arcade?

Does anyone remember the blind match seller who used to stand at the end of Cambridge Arcade?

Yes certainly do. I seem to remember he had a card saying he was a wounded ex seviceman.

I am sure Johnny Fantham barbers was on Cambridge Arcade before moving on to Division Street. Any one remember Steve, the Polish barber(?)

I am sure Johnny Fantham barbers was on Cambridge Arcade before moving on to Division Street. Any one remember Steve, the Polish barber(?)

The first is correct but Steve was Ukrainian. :)