A language you’d like to learn & why

I remember going to Norway about 13 years ago and watching English TV programmes and movies with Norwegian subtitles. After about two days I was saying certain phrases from just watching TV.

I don't like the Language the youth of today speak, init and all that type of garbage, Parents should get a grip of them and tell em to speak reight.:hihi:

I bought a Linguaphone Course nearly 20 years ago and began to learn Hindi. I can read and write in the devanagri script which I find to be one of the most attractive scripts in the world. I'm not brilliant but I'm okay and can get by.

It's a lovely sounding language and not too difficult to learn. There are no capital letters and there are various ways of spelling the same word. Grammatically, the verb comes at the end of the sentence, so to say 'my name is David' would be translated 'my name David is' = mera naam david hai. Nouns are masculine and femine. My dream is to travel to India and immerse myself in the culture and language. Hindi - on a spoken level - is very similar to Urdu so in effect you're learning two languages for the price of one!

I also speak a little spanish - a lovely, sunny sounding language which is obviously a lot easier that Hindi!

I watched a programme last night, How To Be A German (I think it was called) and the number of germans who could switch to English was amazing. I think language is so important; it teaches you how your own language works. I learned more about grammar when learning Hindi than I ever knew before. Learning two foreign languages should be a priority at school and it might make the British look slightly less lazy. It's also rewarding!

Edited by Ousetunes

Thanks everyone for taking part, I wasn’t expecting such rich and varied comments and ideas, I am amazed so thanks a million!

If I could pick one or two points that caught my eyes,

Angos said “ Angos because it the world’s newest language”, are you serious because … or are you joking?

Alcoblog said “ I've still got some way to go with English”, are you being modest?

TheTwirler said “ I'd love to study English and have a better understanding of the linguistic components of the language I CAN speak, first!”, what is that?

Eccentric said “ I cannot abide the sound of Italian. Everything annoys me about that language ..”, you couldn’t find any music in Italian, could you?

Super Hans said “ Latin because I'm interested in etymology …”, after reading your comment I spent many minutes learning about the term etymology … you must be a professional, no?

You also said “ Arabic because it's probably the second most spoken language in the country or soon to be.”, are you serious?

Forgive my curiosity, is there anyone who wishes to learn Arabic? .. why?

Vwkittie said “ .. I really like germany” , same here

Ousetunes said “ I watched a programme last night, How To Be A German (I think it was called) …”, I watched it too and will watch it again soon. Germany is fascinating in many ways …. cars, football, tennis … brains … efficiency …

Like anything you have to keep practicing otherwise you'll lose the skill over time

I speak very basic Spanish but I've just started trying to learn some German.

Every time we go on holiday, for some reason people mistake me for German and start speaking to me as such...when I explain I'm English, they switch to English and it makes me feel ashamed that I can't do the same!

I know people diss the Germans abroad, but everwhere we go we always meet the nicest German people who are willing to converse in English...some have even asked us if we can help them practice their English language skills.

Now the Russians, they're just downright rude!

Ousetunes said “ I watched a programme last night, How To Be A German (I think it was called) …”, I watched it too and will watch it again soon. Germany is fascinating in many ways …. cars, football, tennis … brains … efficiency …

Yes, yes, yes.

But one can't help feeling that for all their sporting skills, linguistic brilliance and engineering endeavours, the germans are incredibly boring.:o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ela James

Ousetunes said “ I watched a programme last night, How To Be A German (I think it was called) …â€, I watched it too and will watch it again soon. Germany is fascinating in many ways …. cars, football, tennis … brains … efficiency …

Yes, yes, yes.

But one can't help feeling that for all their sporting skills, linguistic brilliance and engineering endeavours, the germans are incredibly boring.

A few hours watching Rammstein videos would change your opinion about them being boring lol..

....or maybe just confirm it!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I'd love to learn Bongo Bongo. A beautiful and rhythmic language.

Geordie.

That said, I don't think anyone can learn or understand Geordie.

I visited a relative in Newcastle a few years back.

We went out to the local for a few pints,and I spent the next few hours nodding and agreeing with a few Geordie lads,like I knew what they were saying,but truth be told,I probably understood 10% of the conversation lol.

And it seemed to get worse as the beer started flowing lol.

I think the main problem was,they don't start and finish sentences off properly,which made it hard to understand when they were finished talking lol