Zero Hours Contracts

the workers of this country need to stand together and tell this gov to stuff it. i wonder how many on here think these conditions are the way forward for some,until it happens to them then start screaming blue murder about how unfair it is ? take a look around your workplace and see how many agency workers there is ? then think will i be the next agency worker to be employed there/ somewhere else because your job has gone :suspect:

The work will just be done in another country. The days of money for nothing and 70s style "job for life" culture are long gone. If you want a well-paid job with good conditions get a good education and learn skills that are in demand.

The work will just be done in another country. The days of money for nothing and 70s style "job for life" culture are long gone. If you want a well-paid job with good conditions get a good education and learn skills that are in demand.

The service sector cannot be outsourced except for a call-centre and the like.Catering and retail require a human presence.

I'm not sure about sick pay but I do know holiday pay is based on actual hours not contracted hours. (I think it's a 12 week average but not 100% sure)

Which does bring up another issue given that many people on zero hour contracts will be receiving benefits, the admin cost for the taxpayer in continually adjusting benefit payments up and down to match the hours worked (or not as the case may be).

If we're going to keep this "tax credit" system which I didn't really know anything about till the other day when a thread prompted me to look into it and is nothing to do with tax, it's just another benefit for people on low pay/low hours and thus subsidy for people paying low wages then I think we're doing more than enough to help low paying employers without costing ourselves a load of money in admin as they dick their staff about to save a few quid here or there.

Not true im afraid,your holiday entitlement is based on your contract,I recently had to question this at the citizen advice and was told they are legaly entitled to pay you whats on the contract ,not on your actual hours which im my case was far more than on the contract.

Edited by southcoast

The service sector cannot be outsourced except for a call-centre and the like.Catering and retail require a human presence.

This is why we import humans from around the globe that will do menial jobs for little reward.

hmm mps seem to have well paid jobs for life dont they. i have a good job which pays well but seeing as my competition comes from outside the uk, and uk companies continue to employ foreign labour thus making it even harder to make a living starts to grate when listening to idiots like you spouting s_ _ _e. oh and well done for sticking up for the working man :loopy: muppet

The days of money for nothing and 70s style "job for life" culture are long gone. If you want a well-paid job with good conditions get a good education and learn skills that are in demand.

Like dog walking?

Try dog walking. You can walk about 10 dogs at once, if you can get £5 for each dog you will be quids in.

Of course from an employers point of view it's advantageous. In a business like mine with season and weather related vagueness there are plenty of times when I can't afford employees sat about and times where I could do with three people on the end of the phone to pull in for busy times. But that's life when you're self employed, I don't personally think its fair to tell someone they have a job, which may pay them nothing for weeks on end and expect them to be on call. Bear in mind it's not the likes of us using these contracts, it's big firms like the supermarkets that are using them to squeeze the last ounce of productivity out of their ("tax credit" subsidised) workforce in exchange for a lot of uncertainty for the staff.

Totally agree. If I had 3 staff on zero hour contracts waiting for the phone to ring it would help me enormously but I couldn't in good conscience do it. That said I'm sure it would help everyone if it was easier to take on unemployed people for a day or a few weeks work - it's so much hassle it's not worth it for all concerned. But, according to my mum who used to work for "the man" many years ago, that was the case - you rocked up at the labour exchange and was told where the work was - back on the dole afterwards. Where did it get so complicated ???

Not tue im afraid,your holiday entitlement is based on your contract,I recently had to question this at the citizen advice and was told they are legaly entitled to pay you whats on the contract ,not on your actual hours which im my case was far more than on the contract.

It is true as far as I can see, so citizens advice may have given you the wrong info. Google "holiday pay on zero hours contract" and there's a ton of info which all points to 12 week average actual as what you would be entitled to.

hmm mps seem to have well paid jobs for life dont they. i have a good job which pays well but seeing as my competition comes from outside the uk, and uk companies continue to employ foreign labour thus making it even harder to make a living starts to grate when listening to idiots like you spouting s_ _ _e. oh and well done for sticking up for the working man :loopy: muppet

Mps don't have a job for life in many cases at all - 4 years in a marginal constituency.

Mps don't have a job for life in many cases at all - 4 years in a marginal constituency.
aww my heart bleeds for them :hihi: do you know of any of them not working after this term? or do they walk straight into well paid jobs because they are one of the boys?

hmm mps seem to have well paid jobs for life dont they.

Not at all, they have to stand for re-election every 5 years.

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 21:02 ----------

Like dog walking?

I believe that was in reply to a post asking about jobs for teenagers.

aww my heart bleeds for them :hihi: do you know of any of them not working after this term? or do they walk straight into well paid jobs because they are one of the boys?

I think that's a bit naive. We have a former mp signing on here http://m.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jun/10/labour-nick-palmer-unemployment-benefits and the pitiful sight of Lembit opik doing stand up.