XP spreadsheet advice req please.

As it seems Works doesn't want to display trailing zeros (or at least, we don't know how to make it do so) - is it actually affecting any of the calculations that are being derived from the numbers on the screen?

If the following SUM = 100.1 + 100.01 = 200.11 then it's working fine and it's only the visuals on screen that are going to cause you an issue. I'm sure you'll get used to it.

Apart from currency, 100.1 is exactly the same as 100.10

Edit:

And again, decimal places are not significant figures. Trailing zeros are not significant in anything but currency, hence they are being ignored as Works only seems to show numbers up the the last significant figure.

Edited by the_bloke

Can you confirm you have selected the "Number" cell format, not the "General" cell format - in Excel the "General" format acts as you describe, but the "Number" format allows trailing zeros to appear.

OK,

What I see:

General

Text

Number

Currency

Percent

Exponential (No idea what that is)

Leading zeros

Fraction

True/false

Date

Time

I have the decimal places set at 5 for numbers. (It does not work if it is set this way for currency either)

Anything else I need to check?

As it seems Works doesn't want to display trailing zeros (or at least, we don't know how to make it do so) - is it actually affecting any of the calculations that are being derived from the numbers on the screen?

No it does not affect the calculations.

If the following SUM = 100.1 + 100.01 = 200.11 then it's working fine and it's only the visuals on screen that are going to cause you an issue. I'm sure you'll get used to it.

I need to display the full figures ideally, for the recipient of the document.

Apart from currency, 100.1 is exactly the same as 100.10

Agreed

Edit:

And again, decimal places are not significant figures. Trailing zeros are not significant in anything but currency, hence they are being ignored as Works only seems to show numbers up the the last significant figure.

Anything else to try?

Use the Excel web app on Skydrive?

OK,

What I see:

General

Text

Number

Currency

Percent

Exponential (No idea what that is)

Leading zeros

Fraction

True/false

Date

Time

I have the decimal places set at 5 for numbers. (It does not work if it is set this way for currency either)

Anything else I need to check?

Anything else to try?

Works 2000 version 5.0 has a "fixed" number format option which does what you want. Which version of Works do you have? (You can find out by selecting Help->About Microsoft Works.)

By the sound of it, and if your screen matches the one in the link dosxuk gave, it looks like you might have an older version.

Don't know if this helps because I have excel 2010. click format> format cells. On the left of the box you've just opened is a list of categories, select custom. Select the option '0.00' this forces two decimal places and displays the zero's you want.