MacBook Pro or Laptop (mostly music production)

Few comparison threads but nothing specific to what i'm after..

let's say you could choose a Macbook Pro 13-inch: 2.9GHz

or get given £1000 to get best laptop you could...

what would you do... AND... what laptop is there out there that is very good at moment?

I'm mostly wanting this for music production, i'll have it linked to a monitor at home 90% of time, but a bigger screen would be nice for occasional use elsewhere.

For music production, if you will be using Logic, then the Macbook, as Logic is only available on Mac OSX, and you could always boot camp / Dual boot it with Windows 7/8

If you would potentially want to be doing other things with it (such as light gaming) then you would be looking at an alternative, however you wouldn't be able to dual boot with OSX

You don't need a Mac to run OSx, but of course it helps. If you want to run OSx on a PC, you need to research "hackintosh".

The first question to ask yourself is what is your workflow, what audio software do you use? To make a DAW laptop, you'll probably want a decent external ADC/DAC so you also need to make sure that whatever external hardware you have or choose is software compatable with the system that you're looking at.

"Hackintosh" is illegal, as it's a modified OSX, and downloads are offered, so discussion of such is against forum policies...

But the rest of the advise above is relevant, but pretty much what I asked... Depends on the audio software you will be using.

The way I understood it, hackintosh is not illigal as it is not modifying OSx in any way shape or form - it's the process of running an opensource bootloader on your hardware in order to allow OSx to boot. The fact that you are buying OSx to run on the hardware of your choice means that Apple will still be deriving profits from the sale of the purchased software.

I will need to do a little more research on this, as I've not done it myself as I've felt no need to run it but this was the way that it's been explained to me previously. Kinda like Grub or Lilo loading Linux, but slightly modified to sign for OSx.

The way I understood it, hackintosh is not illigal as it is not modifying OSx in any way shape or form - it's the process of running an opensource bootloader on your hardware in order to allow OSx to boot. The fact that you are buying OSx to run on the hardware of your choice means that Apple will still be deriving profits from the sale of the purchased software.

I will need to do a little more research on this, as I've not done it myself as I've felt no need to run it but this was the way that it's been explained to me previously. Kinda like Grub or Lilo loading Linux, but slightly modified to sign for OSx.

It may have changed since I looked at it last, but lots of the main system files needed to be modified for it to work properly...

Few comparison threads but nothing specific to what i'm after..

let's say you could choose a Macbook Pro 13-inch: 2.9GHz

or get given £1000 to get best laptop you could...

what would you do... AND... what laptop is there out there that is very good at moment?

I'm mostly wanting this for music production, i'll have it linked to a monitor at home 90% of time, but a bigger screen would be nice for occasional use elsewhere.

I had had them all in the past I have a Macbook Pro 17'' now lovely machine

I'm no wizz, so previously been using cool edit pro...then adobe audition... using line 6 UX1 as input.

i'm up for trying new software eg logic or FL studio producer.

Laptop will not be used for any gaming, so not a consideration.

My personal feelings (without much knowledge) is that macs are all well and good and you'll be happy with them, but is it more style over substance and at same price laptop from sony (or others) can out perform due to higher specification at same price.

Macs aren't all "style over substance" - and I (personally) wouldn't go for Sony as they are over priced for what they are...

With Mac's you get the build quality, the customer service, help with the software, stability, regular updates etc... not to mention they hold their value much better also...

ALL the best Music applications and hardware are Mac compatible, as Mac's are pretty much the industry standard for Music production, (due to Logic Pro...)

If you won't be using Logic, and you'll be using FL Studio, Adobe Audition, Reaper etc, they are all available on Windows, but with Logic being the industry standard you'll probably want to get used to using that so Mac is the only way to go..

If you want a windows based laptop with the same sort of build quality, and stability then you will be looking at £1000+ any way...

No matter what hardware you choose, check out http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

I have Reaper just not used it as yet

---------- Post added 04-08-2013 at 16:06 ----------

Macs aren't all "style over substance" - and I (personally) wouldn't go for Sony as they are over priced for what they are...

With Mac's you get the build quality, the customer service, help with the software, stability, regular updates etc... not to mention they hold their value much better also...

ALL the best Music applications and hardware are Mac compatible, as Mac's are pretty much the industry standard for Music production, (due to Logic Pro...)

If you won't be using Logic, and you'll be using FL Studio, Adobe Audition, Reaper etc, they are all available on Windows, but with Logic being the industry standard you'll probably want to get used to using that so Mac is the only way to go..

If you want a windows based laptop with the same sort of build quality, and stability then you will be looking at £1000+ any way...

Thanks, i'll continue to compare.... oh and just said Sony as was first thing that came to mind... I mean ANY brand laptop, i'm not fussy about who makes it, I just want best spec for my money, even if it looks like a big turd :hihi: