Help with XP computer

Can anyone help me with a problem please.

I have bought a new computer running on windows 8, my old comp. is XP.

On my old one I have some documents and photo's I would like to keep.

I thought it would be easy to save these to disc and put them on the new

comp. but for some reason it's not happening.

When I try to burn a disc it says drive not accessible?? the only way I found

to get near saving stuff was to put it in a sharing file, and use a RW disc.

This put the stuff on the disc but when I put it in the new comp. it says it is of a format not compatible with win. 8.

I even thought of emailing stuff to myself in attachments but that won't work either, it say the files cannot be attached.

I seldom can't do stuff on the computer but this has foxed me, it is almost like the stuff is protected for some reason.

Do you have a 'dongle' (USB flashdrive) if so just drag and drop (or copy and Paste) them to it and then to the new pc

You need to drop them onto a USB Memory stick or an external hard disk.

Open a Dropbox account on your old computer and put your documents into it. Next, install Dropbox again on your new computer but this time log on with the username and password from your initial installation on the old computer. Wait a while and you will have all your documents on your new computer once they have downloaded from the Cloud.

Thanks folks.

I have tried a couple of usb sticks and it won't recognise them, however they are only cheap ones with adverts on so I will try a better quality one.

I'd never heard of Dropbox but it's worth a try. Do you need anything other than your email account to register? I do have a Photobucket account.

All you need to register is a username and password. It is a small programme (or app) and extremely simple to set up and use. Once installed, you will see a folder in Documents with a blue open box icon over it and named Dropbox.

All you have to do is to drag and drop anything you want to save into this folder. You will then have to wait until all the documents have a little green tick by them. This indicates that synchronisation with their computer is complete. The time it takes will depend upon your upload speed and the number and size of documents that you have. It should do the job perfectly.

When you have installed Dropbox on your new computer, don't set up a new account - tick 'I already have an account' and put in your username and password. Your documents will then be downloaded from their computer to yours. Photobucket won't work because it only accepts media files, not documents. However, Skydrive or the Google one should be OK if you prefer that.

you could set up a network between the two and just copy them over!!! I do this with my hubby's XP from my Vista

I don't know if they still offer free data space, but if you have Skype there used to be an add-on called innerpass and you could store up to 512 Mb Free to share with family members. If you uploaded to that you could access them via Skype on the Windows 8 Computer and transfer that way.

Dropbox is great for sharing and saving photos too. I think they offer you extra storage space if you use the mobile app.

Dropbox is great for sharing and saving photos too. I think they offer you extra storage space if you use the mobile app.

You can get 50gb free on drop box, but as the op is now on windows 8 he/she will get free storage with ms skydrive which is in the App Store.

https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=11&ct=1376094494&rver=6.2.6289.0&wp=MBI_SSL_SHARED&wreply=https:%2F%2Fskydrive.live.com%2F%3Fmkt%3Den-GB&lc=2057&id=250206&cbcxt=sky&mkt=en-GB&cbcxt=sky