HOSPITALS Long Gone

Lightwood House is now partly "Woodland View" EMI.

St Joseph's Hospital for the "Mentally Handicapped" (as it was termed then) at Walkley is now flats and a Buddhist centre...

Didn't Jessops have an Annexe, (For Maternity) off Matthews Lane, near Graves Park?

Thundercliffe Grange and Hollow Meadows were residential hospitals, also for those with learning disabilities. (as was Grenoside)

(sorry, Just noticed Rossyrooney has already mentioned Hollow Meadows,or "holler medders" as it was termed in the Yorkshire vernacular! :) )

I used to work at Grenoside hospital and was for mentally and Physically handicapped adults anyone under the age of 16 was then at Rivermead Unit Northern General as was.I remember one paitent her only crime was have a child out of marriage,When Grenoside closed she went to the half way house on the wensley estate at page hall.I loved my time at that hospital .........x

Edited by sand_dollars

I used to work at Grenoside hospital and was for mentally and Physically handicapped adults anyone under the age of 16 was then at Rivermead Unit Northern General as was.I remember one paitent her only crime was have a child out of marriage,When Grenoside closed she went to the half way house on the wensley estate at page hall.I loved my time at that hospital .........x

Sadly, this happened frequently.

When I worked at Middlewood Hospital as a pre nursing student in 1977 there were quite a few elderly ladies on the ward I worked on who had been there for 40 plus years and had originally been taken in because they were pregnant, unmarried and their families had abandoned them. I wonder what happened to their babies - were they adopted or were they btought up as patients at Middlewood ?

When I worked at Middlewood Hospital as a pre nursing student in 1977 there were quite a few elderly ladies on the ward I worked on who had been there for 40 plus years and had originally been taken in because they were pregnant, unmarried and their families had abandoned them. I wonder what happened to their babies - were they adopted or were they btought up as patients at Middlewood ?

I remember my first Christmas I was working the afternoon shift and the choir from the local church came in ......I was sat on the floor holding a young mans hand and in they came and started to sing ...I held his little frail hand so tightly and the tears began to flow ,it was so heart breaking as most of the patients hadn`t got anyone to visit them it was so very sad but I was glad I was there because everyone needs someone ..............and Grenoside made my life richer for working there .......x

Edited by sand_dollars

Generally they'd have been forcibly adopted (IE without the mother's agreement) or would have been handed over to the workhouse (In the bad old days of the "Parish")

I find it laughable that the young women who got themselves "into trouble" were "Shut away" in this manner, for "moral turpitude" (moral laxness) yet the men who impregnated them were not castigated, in any way at all, and got of scott free!

Generally they'd have been forcibly adopted (IE without the mother's agreement) or would have been handed over to the workhouse (In the bad old days of the "Parish")

I find it laughable that the young women who got themselves "into trouble" were "Shut away" in this manner, for "moral turpitude" (moral laxness) yet the men who impregnated them were not castigated, in any way at all, and got of scott free!

Ain't it always the way though PT - men get away with so much more than us girls can ! Nothing changes with time !

Sadly we have lost too many hospitals over the years and now with all the cut backs there may even be more forthcomming who knows?

Sadly we have lost too many hospitals over the years and now with all the cut backs there may even be more forthcomming who knows?

I think it had to happen though as the many small hospitals scattered over the City where expensive to maintain and were not fit for purpose in the 20th and now 21st century.

The modern thinking is to have all specialities under one roof so that transition from one to another is quick and seamless.

The small hospitals had such character though didn't they and were so full of history - if walls could talk !

Wharncliffe hospital.

Built on the hill behind Middlewood.

Annex to the Royal Infirmary.

Had it's own X-Ray department.