Bessemar/Fountain/Pig and Whistle pub, Leopold street

Thank you hillsbro for the photo of the buccaneer. Lots of happy times and pounds sterling spent in its hallowed bar. Never thought as a youngster listening to the songs from the stars of the day that I would end up working for one of the most famous of them all in Beverly Hills. Nice man and not tight at all as he is reputed to be. Glad he just got his knighthood.

Work for Rodney, do ya? Does he take you "sailing"?:D

There was also a clothes shop in that area can't remember name but do remembered buying two pairs of stretch levis jeans and two levis t shirts! Around 1982 ,think just before laskeys?

Was the 'Pig and Whistle' on Leopold Street in 1980 ?

Was the 'Pig and Whistle' on Leopold Street in 1980 ?

Pretty sure it was, I went in quite a few times, and I left the country in 1981.

I think when Cameron's opened it Roger Nowill was the manager who went on to manage the Frog & Parrot and produced the beer Roger and out.

It eventually became part of Wayne Chadwick's mini chain and I think they piped the music from the DJ at the weekend from there to the Wig & Pen and possibly The Marples

I'm taking a guess that the fire exit downstairs in the Bessemer as it is now leads to the old doors where the Pig and Whistle entrance was.

If I recall the Pig and Whistle had two entrances one out on to Leopold Street and the other just around the corner, if they wouldn't let you in one then you'd go around to the other.

Hi all,

Was in the bessemer on sunday and got on to talking about the names it previously had, i remember it being the fountain and my dad remembers it being called pig and whistle but i seem to remember it as something else, cannot for the life of me remember the name!!!! Im talking maybe 17 year ago.

Can anyone put me out of my misery? Or am i imagining it lol

Cheers

I seem to remember going downstairs to a bar/nightclub there. What was that called?

it also had a stint as T.P Woods around 2000 if I recall correctly.