Paying tax online to hmrc

Help please i have been on to hmrc online to pay sons self employed tax but there is no helpline and nothing that says 'pay your tax here' its so baffling, can anyone point me to the right place. i went to - hmrc/paying hmrc. son has tried 0845 366 7816 with no luck it told him to go online

thanks feebs, have now tried that it says blocked by google. and billpay we havent got that.

oh dear , sorry , I used it this week and it went ok , i just did the billpay with a debit card, I didn't need to sign up to anything

what is billpay and how do we sign up for it?

On a similar vein, HMRC have introduced new non statutory expenses for sole traders/small businesses.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/income-tax/brief1413.htm

I love the allowance for working from home. If you work more than 101 hours per month from home they are allowing you to claim £26 per month. Would that even cover the taxable reclaim for electric for 101 hours?

Don't think too many would using that option!

thank you both.

Orb,

I know it may sound obvious, but is putting a cheque in the post an easier option? It saves on time searching around, and probably less stressful. Just a thought.

On a similar vein, HMRC have introduced new non statutory expenses for sole traders/small businesses.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/income-tax/brief1413.htm

I love the allowance for working from home. If you work more than 101 hours per month from home they are allowing you to claim £26 per month. Would that even cover the taxable reclaim for electric for 101 hours?

Don't think too many would using that option!

You can claim much more than that if you work from home. There is a formula you can use to split running costs of your house between domestic and business use. We use three rooms in our house for our business, two as offices, one as storage.

Janus, he's done just that, i told him to set up a bank direct debit for the future! thanks for the replies.

You can claim much more than that if you work from home. There is a formula you can use to split running costs of your house between domestic and business use. We use three rooms in our house for our business, two as offices, one as storage.

Chez,

Is there a "line" somewhere whereby if one uses more than a certain percentage of one`s home for business use, the council will want a slice in respect of business rates?

I get many calls asking for my business details and "to confirm details held on our database", i point blank refuse to give or confirm any of my details , even including my name, over the phone and they must send me a letter, i never received one yet.

Last year i received a phone call from a person claiming he was from the Newark tax office and he wanted to confirm some details on my account. I refused and asked him his name and told him i would ring him back, he was about to tell me his number and i said i would find it myself.

I looked up the number, rang it and asked to speak to the person. He actually existed and i was put through to him. He congratulated me on my caution and said i was the first person ever to do that and he said people just took it for granted and answered his questions straight away.