Sheffield College asking for £724 to do a GCSE! :-(

Whilst I sympathise with what was your situation at the time, there are children with terminal illnesses who complete their GCSEs, and those who have gone through recent bereavement.

Seriously? Bullying can cause stress, depression and anxiety, compounded with a change of schools can add extra pressure. Unless you've lived through those kinds of experiences you can not judge. Bullying can cause PTSD, which can take years to overcome and well beyond the 16-18 year old mark.

I am all for adult education, and know many who have gone to college to study subjects they never got the chance to when they were at school.

But when this country offers free education from 5-18 years old, I really take exception to people moaning about paying for GCSEs when they are in their 20s/30s etc. They will have been told at school that GCSEs were important, but didn't listen. And when later on in life they realise that GCSEs are important, they expect an extension of their free state education.

Sorry I don't agree as not everyone is given that chance! I went to the worst school in Sheffield at the time, and the standard of teaching was very poor and as such many did not get a decent grade. I managed to scrape through with 9 A-Cs, although I know many who had to retake the exams the year after.

Also many other have a bad time at school for many reason such as family issues, language difficulties or abuse etc.

Education should be accessible for all!!

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 13:02 ----------

I can't see the problem in paying for it.

You had a chance at a free education and you sacked it off.

Now you've realised that was stupid you want a second go?

You made the bed, now lie in it!

Did you go to a posh school then? Not everyone is give the chance at 16....

I looked at doing AAT Level 2 earlier on in the year - when it was priced ~£780 for a 20 week course.

I've been working in finance for a few years and haven't got any qualifications to show for it... but it is fairly basic course and at the time, I couldn't really squeeze my wages to cover it.

Started a new job in the summer and intended to enrol to start the AAT in September - it's now a year's course for £1,897.50.

Definitely can't justify spending that when it is only going to certify the work I already do.

Sorry I don't agree as not everyone is given that chance! I went to the worst school in Sheffield at the time, and the standard of teaching was very poor and as such many did not get a decent grade. I managed to scrape through with 9 A-Cs, although I know many who had to retake the exams the year after.

Also many other have a bad time at school for many reason such as family issues, language difficulties or abuse etc.

Education should be accessible for all!!

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 13:02 ----------

What's the relevance of a "posh" school? Are you not allowed to try at an "ordinary" school?

Because the government is not funding adult education anymore. I did an A level for £250 (or near abouts) which, for a working person, is reasonable. I'd like to do another but I just can't afford it.

They fund only those on benifits.

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 14:30 ----------

You should have a look at the WEA website and see if there is something suitable on there. It's a charity that funds adult education and has an ethos that money shouldn't be a barrier to education. That is soooo much money to fork out. WEA means Workers Education Association, good luck

They also use the sheffield college accomodation for their classes.

Seriously? Bullying can cause stress, depression and anxiety, compounded with a change of schools can add extra pressure. Unless you've lived through those kinds of experiences you can not judge. Bullying can cause PTSD, which can take years to overcome and well beyond the 16-18 year old mark.

oh please stop giving them excuses of why they didnt do well at school!! i didnt either and i wasnt bullied just bone idle and thought i knew better!! as it happens i have done ok through hard work and paying my way which is what people who have had the chance but didnt do!! i am fed up of my taxes propping up wasters :rant:

Isn't it nice to see all those politicians making laws and setting budgets and designing ways to pay for further and higher education when the vast majority got theirs for free, with no course fees at all.

I also enjoyed going to college in adulthood during my 30s. I spent 5 years going from nothing to an A level in a foreign language, Spanish. My plans were to start on German and do the same, then maybe French if I still had the desire. But no, the cost is completely out of my reach now and even all the part time college language teachers have been laid off.

Another smack in the face from the privileged few who wake up and find themselves in charge of the country, despite never having a proper job.

In my professional life I am similarly restricted in that if the Open University did a relevant subject, then my employer could get a grant to pay for me to do a degree in my own time. Unfortunately they only now do classroom degrees where you do not need any labs, workshops or practicals. Absolutely useless for anyone wanting to do any kind of engineering.

Another smack in the face by the elite who run the country and like to see people studying Law, economics, politics and English. Like they did, but regard anyone who can actually make things or repair anything as just a grease monkey who should have no access to promotion or higher status like them.

The sheffield colleges are getting rid of the language side of things.Meadowhead school for example is a language college.

Not really, maybe I just realised that you're only here once - so you might as well knuckle down and have something to show for it.

I don't really have much time for those that 'couldn't be arsed' at school.

Had a few friends who had bereavements in their family, loosing a parent or loosing a sibling.

They didn't let it stop them, some left with better grades than me.

oh please stop giving them excuses of why they didnt do well at school!! i didnt either and i wasnt bullied just bone idle and thought i knew better!! as it happens i have done ok through hard work and paying my way which is what people who have had the chance but didnt do!! i am fed up of my taxes propping up wasters :rant:

The thing is, the OP IS trying to fix what went wrong a few years ago. Theyre not looking to sit on their bottoms and doing nothing, theyre looking to better themselves.

The cost of decent quality training is prohibitive in many cases which is one of the reasons why the unemployed have such difficulties getting anything other than minimum wage jobs.

No its not true. I was paying to do my OU degree while working but then lost my job. I did a few low paid temp jobs and continued to pay for my study myself. It would have taken another two years to complete it part time but as I didn't have a job and only JSA for six months the OU paid for my course fees and books for the last year. I took two years worth of study in one year which then enabled me to get back into work. They still have funds for people without the money to pay. The OU route is much cheaper than full time Uni and enables you to study in a flexible way if your life changes.

.....they didnt do well at school!! i didnt either and i wasnt bullied just bone idle.......i am fed up of my taxes propping up wasters :rant:

So when you were at school you were a waster propped up by taxpayers. But now the boot's on the other foot you don't want to subsidise education. You got a free education and couldn't be arsed but when someone wants to make an effort and improve himself you won't help out. You're not two-faced much, are you?

Thank you :)

I was thinking about doing the health science access course after completing my gcse's as a gateway to higher education, and now even that course has doubled in fees £3,022.00 <---- and this only for one year :o

The current government have determined the new funding structure, and now allow you to take a loan to pay for the access courses. If you go on to complete a degree (an access course is designed for access to university) then the loan is written off and you only have to pay for the degree.