Sheffield College asking for £724 to do a GCSE! :-(

I've just checked on the new updated Sheffield college website and it looks like they now want you to pay £724 to do a Science GCSE :loopy: . I did a Maths GCSE for free last year and I don't think I did that bad, and from what I'm reading on there now is that if I acheived a grade C on the foundation paper last year and wanted to go further this year I now have to pay £724 to take the higher paper :(

So that is me sorted then if I want to do Science GCSE £724, GCSE Maths, £724 and GCSE English language £724 Total = £2172 and I have not even scratched A levels yet :rant:

Extra info: The year before last they were charging if I remember correct £250 to do a GCSE and this past year GCSE maths and english were free.

Thanks a bunch Sheffield College :thumbsup:

Edited by DunkinDonut
deletion

GCSE Maths and English Lang are free to anyone that doesn't already have grade C.

It is part of the ongoing campaign to equip everyone with the minimum standards required by most employers.

Once you get the C then sorry but you have to pay again unless you forget to mention it when you enroll again.

Do you want to be a teacher with you wanting to undertake GCSE Science?

Because the government is not funding adult education anymore. I did an A level for £250 (or near abouts) which, for a working person, is reasonable. I'd like to do another but I just can't afford it.

That's a ridiculous amount

---------- Post added 30-07-2013 at 18:53 ----------

I mean they charge half of that to retake a university exam

---------- Post added 30-07-2013 at 18:54 ----------

I mean they charge half of that to retake a university exam

You should have a look at the WEA website and see if there is something suitable on there. It's a charity that funds adult education and has an ethos that money shouldn't be a barrier to education. That is soooo much money to fork out. WEA means Workers Education Association, good luck

You should have a look at the WEA website and see if there is something suitable on there. It's a charity that funds adult education and has an ethos that money shouldn't be a barrier to education. That is soooo much money to fork out. WEA means Workers Education Association, good luck

Thank you :)

I was thinking about doing the health science access course after completing my gcse's as a gateway to higher education, and now even that course has doubled in fees £3,022.00 <---- and this only for one year :o

Edited by DunkinDonut
deletion/editing

I've just checked on the new updated Sheffield college website and it looks like they now want you to pay £724 to do a Science GCSE :loopy: . I did a Maths GCSE for free last year and I don't think I did that bad, and from what I'm reading on there now is that if I acheived a grade C on the foundation paper last year and wanted to go further this year I now have to pay £724 to take the higher paper :(

So that is me sorted then if I want to do Science GCSE £724, GCSE Maths, £724 and GCSE English language £724 Total = £2172 and I have not even scratched A levels yet :rant:

Extra info: The year before last they were charging if I remember correct £250 to do a GCSE and this past year GCSE maths and english were free.

if you want to get on you have to pay!! good! might stop some of the timewasters and "long term" college students & graduates eeking out joining the real world:thumbsup:

I don't think you're looking at this from the "right angle" Donut. Remember, a penny saved is a penny earned. So if you don't do any of these qualifications, that's a saving of over £5000 and if you compound this by getting an average job, over the next 5 years being promoted from within you will be streets ahead.

It pays to be stupid.

Isn't it nice to see all those politicians making laws and setting budgets and designing ways to pay for further and higher education when the vast majority got theirs for free, with no course fees at all.

I also enjoyed going to college in adulthood during my 30s. I spent 5 years going from nothing to an A level in a foreign language, Spanish. My plans were to start on German and do the same, then maybe French if I still had the desire. But no, the cost is completely out of my reach now and even all the part time college language teachers have been laid off.

Another smack in the face from the privileged few who wake up and find themselves in charge of the country, despite never having a proper job.

In my professional life I am similarly restricted in that if the Open University did a relevant subject, then my employer could get a grant to pay for me to do a degree in my own time. Unfortunately they only now do classroom degrees where you do not need any labs, workshops or practicals. Absolutely useless for anyone wanting to do any kind of engineering.

Another smack in the face by the elite who run the country and like to see people studying Law, economics, politics and English. Like they did, but regard anyone who can actually make things or repair anything as just a grease monkey who should have no access to promotion or higher status like them.

Edited by muddycoffee

Why couldn't you do the GCSEs when you were 14-16 years old in state education, would have cost you nothing.

Why couldn't you do the GCSEs when you were 14-16 years old in state education, would have cost you nothing.

uh oh, careful go4it, you know how people can get when you make them accountable for past failures, they start blaming everyone and everything else.