Nervous after a crash.

I experienced similar feelings after a serious crash about 20 years ago. A lorry decided not to stop at a red light and ploughed straight into my car. Luckily I didn't have any serious injuries but I did have problems with traffic lights for quite a while afterwards, especially if I saw a lorry behind me in the rear view mirror when approaching signals. The fears diminished in time but I do still sometimes get a little wary if I have a lorry behind me.

Don't stop driving though and I'd say to stick with your own car, which is familiar to you, rather than have refresher lessons in a strange vehicle.

Try Jon Hardy on 07773 013695.

And in responses to the_rudeboy, do the refresher lessons in your own car

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

A girl I know, was in sixth form, year 13. She had a place at a top university to do a top course. She lived in the countryside, where she needed to be able to drive. One evening she was driving along the country roads, she pulled out of a country lane with twists and turns onto another country lane with twists and turns. Another car was coming from the right and they crashed. The person in the car died. She was charged with Dangerous Driving. She was taken to court in the summer, where the judge sentenced her to two years in a Young Offenders Institute, he said he was making an example of her, as a message to others. We went to university, she went to the Young Offenders Institute. The University deferred her place. Her good friend went to visit her and the horror she felt on seeing her each time, affected everyone. She will live with this for ever, and will have a criminal record and the guilt of the judge telling her it was her fault the other driver died.

It was a mistake, in her first year of driving, she was not drunk, or on drugs or going very fast. She was a careful, hardworking teenager. It could have been any of us.

It always seems that when there is a driving accident, someone is always charged and sentenced for Dangerous Driving, when the accounts often show it could have happened to anyone.

Sometimes with driving mistakes are made, often no damage is done, and sometimes it is. I think there should be more acknowledgement of this in the legal system. Sometimes people have traffic accidents and it is 'an accident'.

My daughter is having the same problem Maxtor. Her fiancé was driving as the y picked up a friend in Town on a quiet Sunday evening . A van backed out from a side street right into the side of their car . Low impact on the car ( although the whole side had to be redone) huge impact on my girl. She's terrified of driving at all herself now. She says all she can see in her head is the van coming towards her fiancé and being struck dumb with fear. It's almost like post traumatic stress really. It's causing major impact on her as she has to work while late and needs to drive home . She's also looking for a calm and sympathetic instructor to help her get her confidence back . Btw , it didn't help matters that the van driver refused to accept responsibility for almost six months until they were able to access the CCTV footage !

I wouldn't say that sounds like PTSD - I'd say it is PTSD - has a significant effec ton daily life, has been going on for more than a month...

Tell her to talk to her GP and get referred to CBT - it really will help.

Thanks AngryDog. If it were just me in the car id stick with it. Im quite stubborn like that lol but i carry kids in the car quite a lot. I need to know that im 100% safe and confident in my own driving before it take the kids again.

Thaks again AngryDog :)

I can appreciate that. Cars are big killing machines, but it's rarely the cars fault, it's the idiots driving them.

I drive a big powerful car but I drive safely. I like big cars because i feel safe in them. You'll get there slowly, and I'd suggest if you're concerned about driving, that you probably shouldn't drive with your kids in the car while you're getting yourself back into driving more confidently. Also, the additional stress and worry will not be helping your driving.

Good luck :)

Thanks everyone for your advice, so sorry Buck to hear your story. That must have been hell but im happy to see you have moved on. Ive followed some of your advice and went for a drive but im still not happy. I found myself avoiding roundabouts as best i could and when one was unavoidable i was a bit too nervous for my liking. I also noticed i was driving slower, much slower to the detriment of the traffic flow so im obviously to ready to drive at the minute. I think the refresher course is the way to go. Thanks Saxon, ill give that number a ring a bit later.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. :)

A girl I know, was in sixth form, year 13. She had a place at a top university to do a top course. She lived in the countryside, where she needed to be able to drive. One evening she was driving along the country roads, she pulled out of a country lane with twists and turns onto another country lane with twists and turns. Another car was coming from the right and they crashed. The person in the car died. She was charged with Dangerous Driving. She was taken to court in the summer, where the judge sentenced her to two years in a Young Offenders Institute, he said he was making an example of her, as a message to others. We went to university, she went to the Young Offenders Institute. The University deferred her place. Her good friend went to visit her and the horror she felt on seeing her each time, affected everyone. She will live with this for ever, and will have a criminal record and the guilt of the judge telling her it was her fault the other driver died.

It was a mistake, in her first year of driving, she was not drunk, or on drugs or going very fast. She was a careful, hardworking teenager. It could have been any of us.

It always seems that when there is a driving accident, someone is always charged and sentenced for Dangerous Driving, when the accounts often show it could have happened to anyone.

Sometimes with driving mistakes are made, often no damage is done, and sometimes it is. I think there should be more acknowledgement of this in the legal system. Sometimes people have traffic accidents and it is 'an accident'.

Pulling out of junctions without checking properly seems to be a growing problem and NEEDS dealing with.

If this was a young lad im sure nobody would give a dam and he would be all the chav names under the sun.

The fact is she was driving dangerously and someone else died as a result.

Sentencing was very leaniant considering.........