Nervous after a crash.

Hi all. Recently i had a minor car accident. No real physical injuries apart from shoulder pain, a weird tingling in my face and one or two other minor discomforts that are diminishing with time.

The problem is being hit has shaken my confidence. Well actually thats one of the problems, the other problem is all the ambulance chasers ringing me telling me i should claim, i dont need medical proof to make money from my injuries, its my right, blah blah blah.:rant:

Anyway I went for a drive the other day and i was panicking a little and i didnt feel right. I pulled off the road for a bit but then when i came to drive home, again i started to feel uneasy. So ive decided to take my car off the road for a while and get some driving lesson to refresh my skills and boost my confidence. Does anyone know of a good driving instructor who has an automatic car and plenty of patience? I think ill only need a few lessons, just to get my confidence back and get myself back into my own car. Can anyone help with a recommendation for a good driving school who does autos? Thanks :)

Maxtor

I have heard it said a number of times that after an accident, the best thing to do is get back in the car and keep driving.

Have you thought of trying to drive your car with a friend sat beside you, and preferably in a relatively quite area until you feel your confidence coming back.? Lots of things are easier with a friend-(dentist, going to court etc) You can always try with a driving instructor later if this does not work for you.

I had a big accident 10 years ago. I had to jump back in a car ASAP so did so within 2 hours of being discharged from the hospital.

I was panicky and nervous for months after it.

It gets better!

Maxtor

I have heard it said a number of times that after an accident, the best thing to do is get back in the car and keep driving.

Have you thought of trying to drive your car with a friend sat beside you, and preferably in a relatively quite area until you feel your confidence coming back.? Lots of things are easier with a friend-(dentist, going to court etc) You can always try with a driving instructor later if this does not work for you.

Hi Janus, i tried getting behind the wheel right after and for a few days seemed fine. Then more and more i was becoming nervous particularly on roundabouts (thats where i was hit) and its got the the point that im sweating and becoming breathless. Thats only happened a couple of times but i keep thinking, what if it happens in busy traffic, i get all panicky and cause a crash. I could live with my self if im honest. The most recent time i had my friend with me, and come to think of it the time before i had a different friend in the car. Ive asked them outright if they thought i was driving the same as always and she said no, she could tell there was something different. She said i seem far more hesitant and i actually unnerved here on a couple of occasions. Which is very new because im the designated driver when we go out and no one has ever said they feel unsafe.

Thanks for your advice though, im very greatful :)

---------- Post added 30-07-2013 at 11:21 ----------

I had a big accident 10 years ago. I had to jump back in a car ASAP so did so within 2 hours of being discharged from the hospital.

I was panicky and nervous for months after it.

It gets better!

Thanks AngryDog. If it were just me in the car id stick with it. Im quite stubborn like that lol but i carry kids in the car quite a lot. I need to know that im 100% safe and confident in my own driving before it take the kids again.

Thaks again AngryDog :)

As others have said, stopping driving is probably not a good idea. It's only going to push the problem into the long grass as it were.

Let me say something that is possibly unwelcome... No-one is ever 100% safe in a car. That is something that you have probably just realised after your accident, and that is why, entirely understandably you are feeling nervous in the car. This is something that you have to realise, because if you are wanting to not drive until it's 100% safe you are never ever going to drive. You can minimise the risk, but never remove it I'm afraid.

Like Angrydog I have a huge crash many years ago and it took some time to get over it. It will get better, I know that's a trite and easy thing to say since it doesnt affect me now but it is the truth.

Good call on avoiding the ambulance chasers.

It sounds like some of them are operating on very dodgy ground, they're only out for money and it's the sort of thing that could really cause problems if it all go's pear-shaped.

Since they're not allowed to do 'no-win, no-fee' anymore they'll be hiding the true cost to the claimant like you wouldn't believe.

She said i seem far more hesitant and i actually unnerved here on a couple of occasions.
Not wanting to wiggle the wound around the knife (:D), like...but being hesitant (or the opposite, reckless) is one of the core causes of accidents, as following/oncoming/surrounding drivers fail to understand and 'predict' where you are going to go/what you are going to do (smart drivers will spot this behaviour a long way off, and allow plenty of room...but I haven't seen many of those lately ;))

Whenever friends and acquaintances ask me for tips about driving in e.g. Paris or Rome, I only ever give them one bit of advice: do NOT, under any circumstances, ever, hesitate or 'freeze' (e.g. if in doubt about directions, keep going as normal, take your time finding a safe turn, and double-back if you need)

Janus' suggestion of re-acquainting yourself with operating a car in a quiet environment is a good idea, if you feel that your motor reflexes re. car controls need a bit of tuning.

But, generally, you should just "get back on the horse" ASAP, and drive wherever you used to, as often as you used to, and let your psyche mend gradually through this 'exercise' (of sorts)

Just do it, don't (over-)think about it :)

Edited by L00b

Back in August 1979, we were travelling to Maine for a weekend's camping. My son was 19 and driving, my wife in the passenger seat, me behind, when a big rig jacknifed, crossed the median strip, and hit us head on. My son and I were critically injured and my wife didn't survive. Eventually we recovered and I went back to driving as did my son. I had no alternative as my job entailed long distance driving. The following year, I'm responding to an emegency call late at night when a guy in a pick up truck comes onto the interstate and hits me in the rear, destroyng my brand new car. It all changed me from a sometimes crazy speedster to a very steady one. I am very nervous when somebody else is driving instead of me, and my wife drives me a lot and fast. I call her Maria Andretti. So I guess it depends to some extent how much you need to drive. If its essential you just have to try to grin and bear it. Nothing is 100% safe, walking, flying, taking the bus or train, but I can understand your worries, and I sympathise.

I'd be looking at how long you've been driving, how many bumps you've had during that time and see that it can't be that bad. Unless you're very lucky the chances are you're going to be involved in a bump of some sort, that's just driving today, so just forget about it. Like others have said, just carry on driving

Until you feel more confident, drive in quieter places or times.

My daughter is having the same problem Maxtor. Her fiancé was driving as the y picked up a friend in Town on a quiet Sunday evening . A van backed out from a side street right into the side of their car . Low impact on the car ( although the whole side had to be redone) huge impact on my girl. She's terrified of driving at all herself now. She says all she can see in her head is the van coming towards her fiancé and being struck dumb with fear. It's almost like post traumatic stress really. It's causing major impact on her as she has to work while late and needs to drive home . She's also looking for a calm and sympathetic instructor to help her get her confidence back . Btw , it didn't help matters that the van driver refused to accept responsibility for almost six months until they were able to access the CCTV footage !

Mod Note

Insulting posts removed, if you can't discuss the issue without attacking the person then don't post