Enjoying your Employability Skills Course? Does it help you get a job?

Hi everyone,

To be honest, we all feel that hard working tax payers, are been conned of their valuable taxes to fund diabolical courses like this.

There is over 70 people on the course, and more new groups starting each week, So figure out the math on how much money is been spent on travel fares, yet alone the incentives of the payments they get for each person completing the course. [THIS IS PUBLIC ROBBERY!!]

No they don't, after the 8 weeks,the tutors have a week off and then another load start for 8 weeks.Your answer to the top question is £3.4 million for the year.

Edited by Total Chaos

More people, need to stand up for themselves, who are mandated to these courses.

If we just sit there and not say anything, then nothing will change, however writing to your MP or bringing this to the attention of the media, community unions will give us a chance of either improving the courses or abolishing them.

If an MP gets one letter, then that's a starting point. If they get more, then surely they can see something is going wrong and will need to arrange to make changes in the current welfare to work system?

In addition the £5 billion pound work program has been a huge failure, maybe the government should have put that money into actually creating new jobs for the unemployed, not giving it to work program providers like A4E, Serco and G4S; In this case, which have been prosecuted for fraud.

However still allowed to retain billion pound contracts through the government. Tell me where the logic is in that?

We might be unemployed, but it doesn't mean we can be treated like this!

---------- Post added 29-07-2013 at 19:33 ----------

I appreciate what you are saying Kal El,

We have someone in our group, who was volunteering and has since had to give up some of his time volunteering, just because the job center has mandated them onto this course.

It is unreasonable and unfair what the government is allowing to happen.

I have raised my concerns with a job center adviser, however they fail to reason with you.

They do not seem to care about what you have to say, other than the course is mandatory, so do as you are told!

The rest of the UK population, should really open their eyes, and see what is going on here. I'm starting to think, we are becoming a nation, that is brainwashed into thinking that the government, taking away your basic human rights, is a good thing to happen?

People can be made redundant, quicker than they may think within this day and age, and fail to realize how quickly they could become unemployed and forced onto courses like this.

---------- Post added 29-07-2013 at 19:35 ----------

Thank you, I hope so too

---------- Post added 29-07-2013 at 19:38 ----------

Never heard of that place before?

Has it been there a while?

Potential4skills, potential? it doesn't sound very convincing does it?

More like gdebatable4skills :)

A4e was not prosecuted for fraud . . .

---------- Post added 06-11-2013 at 20:54 ----------

To claim benefits a claimant should have to do some form of work related activity be that employability, college volunteering or community work. Keeps people motivated give a person work ethics a purpose and maintains confidence and self esteem. . . Two things that long term unemployed people lack. If you want to work . . . You will . . . A jobs a job. If we all had the mindset . . . Ill only do the job i want too . . . There would be no taxpayers to fund the benefits some people seem to believe they have a right to.

I'm really sorry for anyone still having to endure the employability skills course.

Needless to say, that it just proves how this is not working to get people into sustainable work, just as the Work Programme promised.

Given that the groups, who are attending these courses currently, are saying the same things, we all said, when attending Sheffield City College.

It just shows, nothing has really changed within the course of 3 months.

I'm unsure if anyone watched the ITV news today, as the government was simply trying to cover themselves, by blaming the reason for sanctions on the general public who are claiming JSA.

They said people are sanctioned for not doing enough to look for work, and are not presenting enough evidence to support their job search?

Anyone can provide enough details of job search, but to meet these requirements, people claiming JSA must be applying for literally anything, even the jobs which they know for certain, they will not get?

There is approx 60-70 candidates per vacancy advertised within Sheffield, so what chances do many of us have at obtaining just an interview?

I feel even more sorry for other areas in the UK, London must be one of the worst to find a job, considering how densely populated the city is.

It's about time the government also increased the national minimum wage, considering how high the cost of living has gone up.

However I doubt those in parliament realize this, as they have a nice pay cheque coming in very frequently and the bankers don't need to worry either.

The only thing I can say, is good luck and all the best in finding a job, whether your from Sheffield or anywhere in the UK, including America.

There is approx 60-70 candidates per vacancy advertised within Sheffield, so what chances do many of us have at obtaining just an interview?

Ah, but you are missing the point.

If hundreds of people have to apply for each job, then that creates jobs in HR departments to go through all the applications.

Plus, the more that jobseekers have to do to prove they are seeking jobs, the more work there is for jobcentre staff...

It is all job creation. :huh:

A4e was not prosecuted for fraud . . .

---------- Post added 06-11-2013 at 20:54 ----------

To claim benefits a claimant should have to do some form of work related activity be that employability, college volunteering or community work. Keeps people motivated give a person work ethics a purpose and maintains confidence and self esteem. . . Two things that long term unemployed people lack. If you want to work . . . You will . . . A jobs a job. If we all had the mindset . . . Ill only do the job i want too . . . There would be no taxpayers to fund the benefits some people seem to believe they have a right to.

I believe a number of A4e employees are being prosecuted for fraud.

Ah, but you are missing the point.

If hundreds of people have to apply for each job, then that creates jobs in HR departments to go through all the applications.

Plus, the more that jobseekers have to do to prove they are seeking jobs, the more work there is for jobcentre staff...

It is all job creation. :huh:

But rarely to write letters out of coutesy to let those applicants know that they were unsuccessful in their applications or interview ;)

But rarely to write letters out of coutesy to let those applicants know that they were unsuccessful in their applications or interview ;)

Yeah, but that's nothing new. I worked for a company and found out that if you filled in the application in blue ink rather than black - straight in the shredder. I've never had a rejection letter. Been rejected many many times though!

hi i did this course 3 years ago it may have changed now but i enjoyed it and made some good friends it was an nhs course though .

I know they still take on staff as i work at the hallamshire now and keep having empoyability people on our area .

One started the other day so you can get a job out of the course it helped me with talking to other people in a group setting and also talking in front of the group on my own .

I dont know if i got my job through this course as i did nt get the first interview i went for i applied through the jobcentre for a domestic in the nhs and got that it did give me confidence doing the course though paul was my tutor .

hi sorry did nt no there was another one

Guess what. 2 months after I finished this 'course' I got an envelope with certificates! On thick paper with one of those security hologram things n all.

I now have an "Edexcel Level 1 Award" for "Personal Behaviour for Success". It includes "Dealing with Problems in Daily Life". Now that one, I worked for - for 2 months I had to waste my time at Sheffield College being patronised while the College made money out of me. That was certainly a problem in my daily life.

There's some other ******: I apparently passed a module called "Developing Self" so at least I'll be able to write self-help books now. But people do deserve credit for surviving the 'course'. And Sheffield College still needs shaming for its role in "generating income" by putting us through this waste of time and money.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone still on this 'course' at any of the Sheffield College sites, SADACCA or anywhere else.

Oh, and 3 days after the first batch of useless certificates arrived from the College I got another envelope: another set of exactly the same certificates. What a shambles.

Could be worse you could be doing this course down at potential4skills at the bottom of the moor! Which is also used through the jobcentre! That is a disgusting place!

Up until last week the Shapla restaurant, a few doors down had a long running advert for staff in their window. Maybe that would have been a better start and could lead to a chef's job or manager or even eventually owning your own business.