Sheffield in the 60s DVD - Previously Unseen Film

If you type in your dvd player model in Google and 'region hack' you may conquer it.

Most of the cheaper brands of DVD will play both systems. Otherwise there are video transfer companies that will change DVD formats, or copy old videos, home movies etc. to disc in most areas. They do charge a fee of course.

Hello all,

Just to let you know, me and a friend have spent the past 6 months putting together a DVD of previously unseen film taken in and around Sheffield in the early 1960s.

The films were shot on 8mm cine film by an amateur as home movie footage and we are guessing that this has never been seen outside close friends and family. They were on a total of 16 reels of film which we have had to copy, edit and re-arrange into some kind of logical sequence.

We are very pleased with the end result, but the cost of doing this has been very expensive but well worth it as we wanted it to be made available to the wider public as it was almost lost forever when we rescued it.

We now have a DVD which is over one hour long and is divided into 6 separate chapters - "Sheffield Parks", "Views and Events", "Sheffield Trams", "Tinsley Park Works", "Sheffield at Leisure" and "Finningley Air Show".

There are lots of shots of long forgotten street scenes, demolished buildings etc. The film is silent and mostly in colour.

Highlights include Firth Park and other city parks, Longley Park Baths on a summers evening packed with people, Rivelin Valley paddling pool, Chapeltown Bonfire, Christmas lights, a journey from The Wicker to The Moor shot from a car travelling through the city centre, demolished pubs such as The Angel & Pump Tavern, Hippodrome, Paradise Square, Pheasant Inn at Sheffield Lane Top, wonderful film of Sheffield University Rag Week with the student procession and the "boat race" on The Don, Whit Walk gathering in Firth Park, Sports Gala at Shiregreen Sports Ground, St George's Day Parade in City Centre, brilliant footage of the Star Walk shot outside Pheasant Inn, lots of footage of Sheffield Trams "Last Tram Week" including trams running at Millhouses and in the city Centre, the horse drawn tram, illuminated tram. footage taken at the tram depot, and the sad sight of trams being broken up at Thos Wards scrapyard.

There is a very interesting section on Tinsley Park Works which shows the massive site being cleared and the new factory in various stages of construction with footage of the opening ceremony with the Duke of Edinburgh and the works in production and even footage taken in the offices - for anyone that worked there in the early 60s this would bring back vivid memories.

Sheffield at Leisure includes various footage taken around Derbyshire and also sporting events in the shape of Listerdale Scrambles and speedway filmed at Owlerton with bikes racing etc

The final chapter was shot entirely at Finningley Air Show at the 21st Anniversary of the Battle of Britain in 1961 and shows close ups of the various aircraft and the Red Arrows etc in flight.

If anyone is interested in a copy they can contact me via email at andyhorsfield@btinternet.com

FOR SALE AT £10 + £1.50 via ebay or direct from me at the above email address

Cheers

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:49, Ontarian1981 said:

Yes I know. I was just wondering if there was a way to transfer to the other system like video tapes.Of course, being in Canada. I come under the USA region.

---------- Post added 10-12-2017 at 22:39 ----------

Well Andy, looks like us ex-pats over here in North America will have to wait until you put the footage on You Tube as the DVD will not work over here.:help:

Yes Mt.T. I was wondering the same as I once ordered a DVD from the Uk and  it wouldn't play (not much of a loss at like three quid). I think 'Region 1' is called ' North America' which includes Mexico.