Is Sheffield Council about to sell off bits of Graves Park YET AGAIN?

once contracts are exchanged the only litigation would be with the vendor not the purchaser

A bit like buying a stolen car or other stolen property. Buyer beware because the man can come and take it away.

I could sell you Buckingham Palace for £50 million. But as I don't have the right to sell it you wouldn't get to evict those living there. It would then be up to you to try to get your money back.

Edited by foxy lady

Until a judge reverses the sale.

we will see, as i said before the councils lawyers will have and will be making sure this is legally watertight and if its not we will see the lot withdrawn.

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 09:04 ----------

A bit like buying a stolen car or other stolen property. Buyer beware because the man can come and take it away.

I could sell you Buckingham Palace for £50 million. But as I don't have the right to sell it you wouldn't get to evict those living there. It would then be up to you to try to get your money back.

er its not stolen:roll:

the councils lawyers will have and will be making sure this is legally watertight

You think? Caveat emptor as they say.

er its not stolen:roll:

It belongs to the people of Sheffield. The council are attempting to steal it from us.

It belongs to the people of Sheffield. The council are attempting to steal it from us.

really??? i think you will find it doesnt soon:roll:

we will see, as i said before the councils lawyers will have and will be making sure this is legally watertight and if its not we will see the lot withdrawn.
If that doesn't put you off nothing will. SCC's lawyers cost them (OK us) a fortune over the Sevenstone/Hammerson fiasco.

If that doesn't put you off nothing will. SCC's lawyers cost them (OK us) a fortune over the Sevenstone/Hammerson fiasco.

There is some good news here. I have read through the obligations of charity trustees. It would appear that it is they who are personally liable to make restitution to the charity should it be deemed that they acted in any way disadvantageos to the charity's aims and interests.

The trustees of the Graves Park Charity are required to forget that they are Sheffield councillors when acting for the charity. So as trustees they would be liable themselves rather than the bill going to the council tax payers. Sheffield Council do not own the park so the buck stops with the trustees. I do hope they are rich.

Edited by foxy lady

They are nibbling away at Graves Park like crazy ! Its only a matter of time before its all gone for development :-(

It's a shame only solicitors are going to win on this.

If the Friends had started raising the funds to buy the building as their base 2 years ago many would probably have chipped in and the council would have waited. In fact they have waited and it's only when the property is almost at auction that anything like a viable business proposition is being prepared. It saddens me that so much effort is now being spent on a very hard case, when it could be being spent helping decide how to spend the sale proceeds for the benefit of the park and it's users.

It's a shame only solicitors are going to win on this.

If the Friends had started raising the funds to buy the building as their base 2 years ago many would probably have chipped in and the council would have waited. In fact they have waited and it's only when the property is almost at auction that anything like a viable business proposition is being prepared. It saddens me that so much effort is now being spent on a very hard case, when it could be being spent helping decide how to spend the sale proceeds for the benefit of the park and it's users.

As the covenant says any money raised must be used to buy replacement land of equal amenity value to the park the options aren't huge. However it looks like it could cost more in legal expenses than a sale would raise even if one is allowed. So it is very unlikely there needs to be a discussion about how to spend the ill gotten loot.