Is Sheffield Council about to sell off bits of Graves Park YET AGAIN?

Hardly surprising when the same cretins vote them in time and time again. They know they can essentially do what they want because it won't matter.

The voters of Sheffield can be very fickle, they like to change who runs the city, unfortunately no one seems to remember who to blame.

Jan Wilson 1998-1999 Labour

Peter More 1999-2002 LibDem

Jan Wilson 2002-2003 No Overall Control

Jan Wilson 2003-2007 Labour

Jan Wilson 2007-2008 No Overall Control

Paul Scriven 2008-2010 LibDem

Paul Scriven 2010-2011 No Overall Control

Julie Dore 2001- present Labour

As I like to remind people, no matter who you vote for the council always get in.

Sadly on the say so of the Charities Commission who have okayed it. I'm sure they consulted land lawyers to sign it off as well. Unless someone who knows land and property law is willing to challenge it in court, then I think we have to accept the inevitable and hold the council to account over the usage of any funds generated from the sale.

It looks like they probably are. I came upon this on T'net.

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/Friends-of-Graves-Park

Sadly on the say so of the Charities Commission who have okayed it. I'm sure they consulted land lawyers to sign it off as well. Unless someone who knows land and property law is willing to challenge it in court, then I think we have to accept the inevitable and hold the council to account over the usage of any funds generated from the sale.

And stop voting the same lot in again and again.

well said :thumbsup:but sadly around here that will never happen:roll:

It's not necessarily the elected Councillors that are the problem. Its the faceless departmental heads and high ranking managers that are making these decisions that are unscrupulous/inept

It's not necessarily the elected Councillors that are the problem. Its the faceless departmental heads and high ranking managers that are making these decisions that are unscrupulous/inept

Why are they having to make these decisions? You might want to look at the accounts for the charity. The decision to sell is by the Council who are the trustees.

@ Kate and Robin H

You might find this interesting reading as to the decision making. Not sure if its been linked.

http://sheffielddemocracy.moderngov.co.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=6954

Why are they having to make these decisions? You might want to look at the accounts for the charity. The decision to sell is by the Council who are the trustees.

@ Kate and Robin H

You might find this interesting reading as to the decision making. Not sure if its been linked.

http://sheffielddemocracy.moderngov.co.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=6954

That is indeed interesting, especially the part which says it was these councillors (or trustees) who voted against the decision to withdraw their overall decision to sell the cottage:

Councillors Terry Fox, Steve Jones, George Lindars-Hammond, Pat Midgley, Tim Rippon and Steve Wilson

Part of the terms of sale are that the buyer pays fees for both parties, so if it goes to court then I imagine it will cost a fortune.

---------- Post added 16-01-2016 at 22:29 ----------

It was a different cottage. They were told it was illegal, but that could have been a procedural defect rather than it being illegal to sell the cottage per se. Youd have to look at the ruling to find out more.

The one advantage Graves park does have is its right next to the main Uni campus and i bet they do have influence and financial muscle.

Are you talking about Weston Park? Graves Park is miles away from the uni campus.

Edited by remyrobson
Autocorrect

I just looked at the fundraiser.

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/Friends-of-Graves-Park

It just passed £2300. If this does go to court will it end up costing the council more trying to sell the cottage than they stand to gain if they get away with it?

how far do you think£2300 will go in legal fees? in a case like this:roll: