Is castle market moving onto the Moor?

They have got their reward , Sheffield Council have killed of a thousand years of trading history by moving the Markets to the very edge of Town.

Funny handshakes come to mind.

But it's current location is also the on the very edge of town.

Please dont confuse him.

How has this thread become a vehicle for verbally abusing people who earn less money, and for whom shopping at the market is a lifeline? Talking about them as if they were a different species, that's how the Nazis started. Think about what you are saying. We all need to eat and clothe ourselves, does it really matter if it's done at the market and Primark, or at John Lewis and Waitrose?

Yes,it does to me.

Its present location is in the very spot where Sheffield was formed at the configeration of the Don and the Sheaf.

The lord of the Manor gave permission for a Market to be held on that spot over a thousand years ago.

So much for preserving history in Sheffield eh!

Edited by cuttsie

Its present location is in the very spot where Sheffield was formed at the configeration of the Don and the Sheaf.

The lord of the Manor gave permission for a Market to be held on that spot over a thousand years ago.

That maybe true but the fact still remains the new location is no more on the edge of town than the current location.

And I'm sure all the people that currently use Castle Market know that or actually care.

Aren't they supposed to be excavating what remains of the castle once it's moved?

And I'm sure all the people that currently use Castle Market know that or actually care.

Aren't they supposed to be excavating what remains of the castle once it's moved?

hahahahahahahhahaha!:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: ahem, sorry, carry on .........

In that case do the people who currently use the castle actually care, not that I have seen many of them around of late!

Not quite. The first reference to a market is in 1296, when Thomas Furnival was granted the right to hold a market by the king. There had been a castle on the site since around 1100. This castle was destroyed, along with the town, in 1266. It was rebuilt on the same site in 1270 and stood until it was demolished after the civil war in 1649.

The first market was in what's now Haymarket, outside the castle walls. It gradually spread to cover the area between Haymarket, King Street, Angel Street and Market Place (there's a clue in the name).

Until the building of Castle Market, there was never a market of any kind on that site.

Not quite. The first reference to a market is in 1296, when Thomas Furnival was granted the right to hold a market by the king. There had been a castle on the site since around 1100. This castle was destroyed, along with the town, in 1266. It was rebuilt on the same site in 1270 and stood until it was demolished after the civil war in 1649.

The first market was in what's now Haymarket, outside the castle walls. It gradually spread to cover the area between Haymarket, King Street, Angel Street and Market Place (there's a clue in the name).

Until the building of Castle Market, there was never a market of any kind on that site.

Well it all depends on which version of History you choose to believe.

My own assestment has been reached through many years in research of the area in question.

One version that confirms my belief that there was a Market on or very near EXCHANGE STREET:rolleyes: Is the history and guide to Sheffield .

This excellent book states on page 34 that

, during the eleventh century the communities of Hallamshire came together at the confluence of the Sheaf and Don to market their produce, and this Market survives to the present day.

The book also states that the Market along with the Church near by helped the village of Hallamshire to become the City that is known today as Sheffield.

[originaly Split-Field],.

So this was in the ELEVENTH! century, no mention of any Castle at that time although there was a Lord of The Manor living in the Lodge [on the Manor].

It seems to sense that no one would build a fortification to defend !!!!! well ?nothing ,but once a settlement along with a trading area was established then the inhabitants and traders needed to be defended so a wooden Castle was built later followed by the stone version of which we are lead to believe is waiting to spring up from the foundations of the present Castle Market;).

Edited by cuttsie

I'll stick with my version thanks, it's supported by most authorities, not least the stones and mortar that lie under castle market. Yours seems to be based on many years of study of one source. (Your reference is a bit vague, can you be more precise as to the book you're quoting from please?)

Castles built by the Normans weren't built to defend, they were built to dominate the local area. As a result communities built up around them, followed by markets etc. As to the village of Hallamshire, it wasn't a village (the clue's in the name ...shire). There are doubts whether there was ever a village of Hallam. If there was there are conflicting beliefs as to its location, near the castle, or at the present day Hallam.

Can you offer any evidence that a Lord of the Manor lived at Manor Lodge before the castle was built? There's archaeological evidence that the Norman castle was preceded on the site by a Saxon Hall, which may have been the Aula of Waltheof referred to in a number of sources, Waltheof being the last Saxon Lord of Hallam before the Conquest.

Edited by algy

I'll stick with my version thanks, it's supported by most authorities, not least the stones and mortar that lie under castle market. Yours seems to be based on many years of study of one source. (Your reference is a bit vague, can you be more precise as to the book you're quoting from please?)

Castles built by the Normans weren't built to defend, they were built to dominate the local area. As a result communities built up around them, followed by markets etc. As to the village of Hallamshire, it wasn't a village (the clue's in the name ...shire). There are doubts whether there was ever a village of Hallam. If there was there are conflicting beliefs as to its location, near the castle, or at the present day Hallam.

Can you offer any evidence that a Lord of the Manor lived at Manor Lodge before the castle was built? There's archaeological evidence that the Norman castle was preceded on the site by a Saxon Hall, which may have been the Aula of Waltheof referred to in a number of sources, Waltheof being the last Saxon Lord of Hallam before the Conquest.

Evidence! I am not on trial just giving my point of view as you are.

However my evidence is just as good as any one elses on the history of the Market area as non of us realy know what was happening a thousand years ago.

However I have been in the very depths of the Castle Market when it was being built and so have a small insite as to what is down there, [the fish section may have some secrets but we will wait with bated breath.

The book that I partly quoted from is History and guide to Sheffield by David Fine.