Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalos

I joined in 1958 Darnall Lodge and I'm still a Kangaroo,my brother is possibly one of the senior Buffs in England now,he's 80 Y.O and lives in Grimsby.

cliffekid, The RAOB is a great experience if you get into a good lodge,you'll never want for a friend.

I think I'll give you a run for your money on being the oldest jossman. I joined the buffs " Royal Albert Lodge" Sportsman Main Road Darnall in the early seventies ( I was just looking at my Kangaroo badge the other day) I never even saw my parchment. Apparently one of the "officers" did a runner with the taking's and my joining fee was lost

Sorry but I beat you by at least 10 years,I joined that lodge in 1958:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice Floridablade, much appreciated.

who are you then desy do i know you ? i joined the the P.O.S. 20 years ago when it was at the swall social club

Bros of the Royal Albert lodge meet on Sunday nights at the Darnall Liberal Club.

and do they sell it up pitsmoor? :)

Sell it in Pitsmoor!! That's where it's grown. :D:

Can any Buffs out there tell me if there was/is a "Shakesperian Lodge #4" that was held at the Roebuck Tavern??

There used to be a R.A.O.B. meeting at the Manchester Hotel a few years ago, the landlord there was a member.

The Buffs is a great experience and well worth the effort to join and attend but like any organisation it has its share of deadbeats. The last lodge I attended was in Oman where I attended after a couple of years absence. The lodge there was made up of ex-servicemen all jockeying for promotion in the company we worked for and instead of harmony and cordiality there was a lot of backbiting and general bad feeling. I decided after that the Buffs had let too many of the wrong kind in and have never been back.

My Uncle Jack belonged to the Buffs and I think the meetings were held at the Ball Inn on Myrtle Rd (top of Thornborough Rd).

After he died representatives of the Buffs used to visit his widow and give her help and support, also sums of money to help wth the bills.

hazel

I have a photo of my Great Grandad ,William Thomas Brown,wearing his RAOB chain of office, probably in the 1920s. They used to meet in the White Swan at Greenhill... which they called the mucky Duck. I have no idea what the RAOB do, how they started etc & would love more info if anyone has it please. Harold Thwaites was his son inlaw & also held the top slot at some point. What were you called if you got to wear the chain & what did it involve ?. yours hopefully.