Advice on trip to Spain

Hi, i'm thinking of driving from Sheffield to the Spanish coast, anywhere around Barcelona or Costa Blanca ect. I hope to camp taking everything that i need with me, and a mate, in the car. Has anyone done this trip? Where would be a good place to stop over in France? Any good sites in Spain? Any info would be very helpful :):

I've camped near Frejus not far from Nice. It's a bit off the direct path to Barcelona but a nice base to work from for the Riviera. There should be tons of camp sites in French Catalonia near Perpignan. If you want to go the other way round the Pyrenees there's a campsite on the south side of Biarritz that's a few minutes walk from the beach and a main road down the French Basque Country coastline into Spain.

When on holiday in Spain on the Costa Blanca about 20 years ago, I ran in to some mates who were staying on a campsite, they said the police had come and repeatedly raided their camp at night (with their batons!) and it wasn't pleasant. Things may have changed now, but it put me off from camping in Spain. Choose your site carefully, look for recommendations and views on trip advisor. Also try the ukcampsite forums for advice.

Edited by Mr Bloom

It's a long drive & car hire is cheap in Spain, might be better to fly.

Get the ferry to St Malo and sleep on the ferry. Next day drive south and find somewhere to stop near the Pyrenees.

You can then cross the mountains in the morning when you are fresh - you dont want to try some of the passes when tired.

In Spain, no idea about camping I've never tried sadly but theres a lot to do down the coast, all depends what you want really.

It's a long drive & car hire is cheap in Spain, might be better to fly.

And miss the 'adventure'?

Its 30 years since I did it so any advice of mine would be well past its sell by date. I did it many times and loved every minute, although not camping, b&b's were quite cheap back then.

Its certainly not a cheap option to a package holiday, but the experience is definitely worth it. There is some useful info on HERE. The best advice I can give, is not to try and 'short-cut' any of the advice given on there, ignoring it could prove very costly.

Around 1993 ish, we did the following in a Land Rover Disco- me and 2 mates.

Ferry from Dover to Calais. Then out round Paris ring road to La Rochelle, Bordeaux, Toulouse. Then through Pyrennes to Barcelona.

Stopped in 2 areas on that coat. La Pineda which was only a small town then, and had built up a bit since because of the adventure park down there. We had 3 days camping there and loved it. Then on to a small town near the border back into France called L'Escala. Several camp sites in that area and again we had a great time.

We then travelled through Montpellier, Marseille, Cannes, St Tropez, Monte Carlo/Monaco, up through Turin, back through the Alps to Geneva, Chamonix, up through Belgium to Metz and back to Calais.

3500 miles in 2 weeks. Fantastic holiday.

Basically there are loads of camp sites on the coast between Barcelona and the French border. We didn't book anything in advance and always managed to get a pitch on a site.

On the way back up to Calais, the weather turned against us, so we stopped a couple of nights in cheap motels (Camponille type places)

Calais and down the Atlantic Coast.

You can camp anywhere in France. Free. On the farm might cost you but it is a wonderful experience. Look for the ala ferme signs and also air au naturalle.

Wild camping ... out of sight and off road is good. It'll get you down to the border cheaply. Buy supermarket food or try the local patisserie for a sandwich and cake. Picnic in some beautiful place and the get going.

If you see the Les Roulierre signs eat there. Have what they have that lunch time along with all the local drivers / workers and park down the road and sleep it off.

Carcans / Houtan area in the pine forests; take a left and look for small, private camp sites.

In Spain it's a different game.

The tapas food in roadside bars is the best. Stay in the pensions; cheap rooms as camp sites are more scarce.

France is totally safe with fine police. Spain is the opposite. As for driving, France is fine. Spain, at night, is horrific. They drive drunk at high speed. The wreckage, like the dead dogs is left at the roadside.

It's best to avoid the cities and see the countryside.

Avoid Portugal as they make the Spanish look safe.

The Basque country and its people are as friendly as it gets; Almeria is an empty desert, the coasts are heaving and totally commercial. Drive back to France via Cholera and you won't be disappointed.

Anecdotes ......... French cognac made on the farm and served at 9 a.m. by grandpa. N early blew my head off. Spain and a pension stay where the owner insisted on taking me on a tapas and beer bar crawl around town meeting all his friends.

Wonderful times ..... wonderful people found in the back waters ......... not the cities.

Make time to stand and stare.

I'm flying to Spain in a few days, but my uncle is driving. I think i'll let him know about this thread. May give him a few ideas