Male alsatian stud wanted

Hi all don't know if I'm posting in the correct section but my mother in-law is lookin for a male alsatian to mate with her female alsatian she's a lovely looking girl got a lovely nature if you are interested in mating your dog with her please get intouch my mother in-law is offering first pick of the litter thankyou x

Has your mother in law had all the health checks done on her bitch? If not, before finding a stud dog it would be best to make an appointment at the vet's for the relevant tests to be done for hip dysplasia, elbow and pelvic assessment. She also needs to be eye tested. Apparently the male should be tested for haemophilia A.

If you google 'health checks for German Shepherds' there are loads of results - here is one. The stud dog should also have had these tests done. For a good stud dog, fully tested she will be looking at circa £400 stud fee.

If the bitch has a full pedigree and was obtained from a good breeder then he or she would be a useful first port of call.

She could be in for a troublesome and expensive time if these are not done and the progeny are not healthy.

Edited by ccit

Not sure will mention it too her cheers

Yes, please PLEASE get all of the tests done and permission from the bitch's breeder before thinking of breeding, particularly a Shepherd, as there are a huge number of health problems that can affect the breed.

You also really need to talk about this with the breeder to ensure that the stud is chosen from a sufficiently far away line to reduce the risk of inbreeding problems. GSDs are getting to be a very inbred and unhealthy breed (and I'm saying that from the position of working in GSD rescue, seeing quite how many of the same problems which are GSD specific keep appearing in dogs in rescue). Introducing as much variation as possible in lines prevents dogs from being bred with near relatives, which is known to be a cause of all sorts of abnormalities.

On top of anything else, PLEASE ask your mum to put off breeding until she has a seriously long waiting list for the resulting litter, at least double the number of pups that are likely because of the number of people who are likely to change their minds or buy from elsewhere before pups are born. GSD litters average 9, so you need to have at least 20 people prepared to put their signatures on the line before breeding.

There are too many GSDs in this country and rescues are overflowing with dogs (go and look at the GSDR website if you don't believe me) which is why I had my GSD bitch who has a fabulous temperament spayed instead of breeding from her. Please be informed and don't add to that problem. How would you feel if 3 or 4 of the pups from a litter ended up in rescue? How about if they ended up being given away for nothing on facebook and used as bait dogs for dogfights?

Please do this with your eyes open and do everything you can to reduce the risks of this, including lifelong covenants with properly checked owners, tattoos or chips which come back to your mum and everything else to protect the lives that you create.

It only cost us a few hundred pounds to get blood tests and x rays done on our dog but its a must if you want to breed. You also need to consider if is show line or working dog line you are after producing. Working dog lines are very strong willed, need mental stimulation and are not pets for inexperienced people as they have to be trained, controlled and stimulated.

A parent dogs temparament is important too. Its dangerous to breed from unconfident or unpredicatble dogs as they are the ones that are likley to attack if they feel scared.

Please tell your mother in law to reconsider this. You have been given some excellent advice on here from posters so far.

I'll add that in my opinion she shouldn't breed the bitch unless she is an excellent example of the GSD Breed, has excellent hip and elbow scores and is of a good pedigree and registered with the KC. If she is registered with the KC, check that there are no restrictions on her having a litter on her papers. A "good" experienced breeder will have a large waiting list for puppies.

I would take a guess that she's not experienced in breeding other wise you wouldn't be on here looking for a stud dog and you'd not have asked for an Alsation stud. Please, make sure she reads up on it. You only have to look at the number of GSD puppies that are both for sale and already in rescues to realise that this is not a quick money maker. If not done properly, you mother in law could end up bringing a number of puppies in to the world that could have serious health conditions when they get older.

Have a look on here, and get her to have a look. This is just 1 rescue for GSD's:

http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/

Closing now, if anyone can help the OP please use the pm function.