Oh Britain, Please Britain

A New York mayoral candidate Mr Weiner apparently keeps sending photos of his "weiner" to strangers at the moment.

That is international news though.

We want to know about UK weiners! lol

Boy you know how to relax don't you Chumley.

A moment of reflection between cocktails and "beach patrol" :wink:

I think balance is all important.

If only the Windsors could produce a baby everyday,we would all be so much happier.:rolleyes:

Unless you post every day, then we would be sad.

I'm disgusted that there are no more Political scandals involving eroticism, oranges and rope (90's Tories?).

Im disgusted that there or no scandals about corrupt Labour MPs going to prison, Labour governments invading foreign countries or ruining the economy. But hold on, Andy Burnham responsible for deaths of 1000,s whilst ruining the NHS.

Good old Andy, gives you something to be disgusted about during the quiet months.

PS Burnhams the hypocrite who fought so hard for the scousers compo fund re Hillsborough. Maybe if he had concentrated on the NHS instead of trying to grab headlines a few more people would be alive.

A moment of reflection between cocktails and "beach patrol" :wink:

I think balance is all important.

Oh I see. One of those 'heyho' moments one gets between sipping and oggling :)

Listening to the news, or watching Newsnight .. or checking the BBC website for any news … I often end up with this impression: sometimes I feel the UK media pays more attention to news related to far away places ( an example would be the Middle East ) than what is happening here :confused:

correct me if you feel I am wrong :|

I take it you've not seen the headlines over the past few days then?

Oh I see. One of those 'heyho' moments one gets between sipping and oggling :)

Exactly so :D

I don't think there was any news last week. Thank goodness the media had a baby to concentrate on.

Some years ago, I retired from the Royal Air force and re-joined my wife, who was serving in the United States Air force, in America.

Not a problem (most of the time) but the Americans do get a bit 'twitchy' about foreigners ... particularly when those foreigners are retired military officers and get visitors from the State Department. (They were friends who called in on the way to 'other' places. ;))

Then came Aug 02 1990. I called my wife at work (interrupting a [fairly minor] conference and suggested that her boss might want to listen to 'world developments'.)

What are these 'World developments' you want me to listen to, Rupert?" (He did, at least, pick up the phone.)

"Well Mike, Saddam Hussein has invaded Iraq." I gave him a list of what was happening.

A few hours later, when my wife came home, she brought with her a question: "I know your *&^%$#@ husband has contacts within the State Department, but please ask him how the hell he knows what's going on before we do?"

Easy. I used the BBC World Service (who trumped the whole of the US Intelligence network that day.) :hihi:

I haven't relied on the 'World Service' since that day (yesterday's news is fast enough nowadays) but the Beeb's World Service was - back then - the most up-to-date and accurate News service you could find.

They beat the US Intelligence services by a day on Aug 02.

Don't under-estimate the Brits.

A variation on this story was used in a Bond film, the first one with the lady "M", poking a sly dig at the Americans getting their intelligence from CNN.

Listening to the news, or watching Newsnight .. or checking the BBC website for any news … I often end up with this impression: sometimes I feel the UK media pays more attention to news related to far away places ( an example would be the Middle East ) than what is happening here :confused:

correct me if you feel I am wrong :|

They focus on petty small things, or wars that the government want us to know about.

There is too much rubbish in the news, idiot people's births and TV gossip do not belong. The BBC has become a televised daily mail.