Elevated cycle lanes across the city?

Imagine a network of elevated cycle lanes criss-crossing Sheffield, a bit like this but for bikes ...It could be partially paid for with a small toll charge.

How small would this toll charge be?

How would you get the cyclists to pay it? - You can't even get them to pay insurance to cover the cost of any accidents they cause.

why not just ban everyone from the roads but you, would that make you happy?

I've only been here a short time but I don't think anything will bring a smile to his face, he seems to be on a permanent downer.

I just think it's unnecessary. I have no problem giving cyclists enough safety room even if it slows me a little, i'll still complete my journey faster than them on most occasions. It's not segregation that's needed, it's courtesy from all road users, which costs precisely £0. :)

I agree, and the key point here is "all road users[/url]". I cycle across the city to and from work most days and the amount of idiotic actions I see cyclists and motorists alike performing is a worry.

Sticking them up in the air won't help, it'll just be a massive waste of money and would need an awful lot of entry/exit points to make them attractive for use.. which ain't going to happen!

Coming from an avid petrol head and cyclist. All that people need to do is, follow the code for your vehicle, its quite simple and straight forward, infact you could say its so simple even kids can be taught it.

Follow this simple instruction and everyone's lives will be much simpler whilst on the roads. :|

Coming from an avid petrol head and cyclist. All that people need to do is, follow the code for your vehicle, its quite simple and straight forward, infact you could say its so simple even kids can be taught it.

Follow this simple instruction and everyone's lives will be much simpler whilst on the roads. :|

Safety is one aspect of this "Skycycle" idea, the others are convenient ease of (what could be quite nice scenic) travel by bike around the city, reducing congestion and pollution.

Safety is one aspect of this "Skycycle" idea, the others are convenient ease of (what could be quite nice scenic) travel by bike around the city, reducing congestion and pollution.

Note: Re-read my last post, I ended with..Follow this simple instruction and everyone's lives will be much simpler whilst on the roads. :|

Imagine a network of elevated cycle lanes criss-crossing Sheffield, a bit like this but for bikes http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/b2b/TP_Monorail_City.jpg. It could be partially paid for with a small toll charge.

The lanes could be from NW Sheffield right over to SE and NE to SW etc etc, with multiple access/exit points at certain locations along them.

They would have to be high sided for safety and the police cyclists could patrol them to keep them safe.

I think it would greatly reduce traffic congestion as I think it would inspire many to people to get bikes and use them to get across the city with ease.

Edit: After a quick Google for "elevated cycle lanes" I found this this. http://elevatedcyclelanes.blogspot.co.uk/

Amazing, Sheffield must have this.

Out of interest, what sort of medication are you taking?

Imagine a network of elevated cycle lanes criss-crossing Sheffield, a bit like this but for bikes http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/b2b/TP_Monorail_City.jpg. It could be partially paid for with a small toll charge.

The lanes could be from NW Sheffield right over to SE and NE to SW etc etc, with multiple access/exit points at certain locations along them.

They would have to be high sided for safety and the police cyclists could patrol them to keep them safe.

I think it would greatly reduce traffic congestion as I think it would inspire many to people to get bikes and use them to get across the city with ease.

Edit: After a quick Google for "elevated cycle lanes" I found this this. http://elevatedcyclelanes.blogspot.co.uk/

Brilliant idea.... providing the cyclists are then forced by law to pay road tax and insurance like the rest of the road users; to cover the cost of building their special road and covering the cost of the accidents they cause?

Catpus, edit your post, delete it, and to spare your blushes we'll pretend you never said that or anything like it. :cool:

Edited by -Call me Al-

What fun they will be in high winds!

I've only been here a short time but I don't think anything will bring a smile to his face, he seems to be on a permanent downer.

If he died and came back as Jeremy Clarkson, that might make him happy. Then he wouldnt have to spend his time on here doing his lame impression of him.