French conversation club

Hi Ridgewalk,

Thanks for replying. I'm afraid I can't reply by PM as I don't have enough posts on the forum. My friend is hoping to stay a few months, work permitting. Do you mind me asking you if you could tell me a bit about yourself, by PM of course!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Jo

Hi jocl

No problem. I'm male, semi-retired, work part-time in the NHS, married with three children, two grandchildren. Lots of free time during the day. I've been studying French for 7 years with last 3 years at University of Sheffield. I'm hopefully ok with all aspects of the French language, reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar. Next February when my partner retires we'll be spending 6 months each year in France.

Cheers

Yes there is a French Conversation Club. My partner went to it -about two weeks ago. It met at the Cafe Rouge -near to the "Mercurial" Hotel .

I'll find the details of their next meeting and post it on here

jocl

You could always try at the University of Sheffield. There are always students looking to exchange with different language speakers. You could go to the Students Union and ask where the board is where people advertise for language exchange. I'm guessing your friend as a French speaker wanting to learn English wouldn't have too many problems.

Good luck

Dear Ridgewalk,

I thought I might have been able to send this by PM but am not sure it was sent. Thanks so much for getting back to me. Apologies for the delay in replying. My friend is a young girl and is quite shy. I have discussed this with her but she is very reticent to try conversation exchange with an older gentleman. Thank you so much for your kind offer but she says she's looking for people nearer her own age. I do hope you are not offended.

Kind regards,

Jocl

Not at all jocl. I've sent you a private message. You might want to take up the language exchange system at the University. I've put a little bit more information in the message.

Bon chance

---------- Post added 20-05-2014 at 15:43 ----------

Yes there is a French Conversation Club. My partner went to it -about two weeks ago. It met at the Cafe Rouge -near to the "Mercurial" Hotel .

I'll find the details of their next meeting and post it on here

Thanks for that Pete. Could you ask your partner about the age range at the Meet-up because I wouldn't want to go if they were all young people I just wouldn't feel comfortable

Hi I have 2 kids 18 and 13 we have spent the last 10 years living in France so both are fluent, daughter is off to uni in September at sheffield and son I a just finishing y8 here. I am keen for them to get in contact with french speakers or help french speakers with English??? Oh daughter will be studying french at uni. So I would be interested in clubs here also. Thanks

Hi Clare

The University of Sheffield Students Union has a notice board where students advertise for someone to practise their language skills with. The adverts are very specific and describe what language is spoken and which one they are trying to learn. The Students Union is easily accessible from the street and well worth a look.

Good luck

Will look into that as I am not worried about daughter keeping her French just want to find folks so our son keeps his french.

Hi All,

If anyone is looking for a French course in Sheffield, Total Linguistics has an Upper Beginners course starting in January.

If you enter TLNOV14 on booking there is a 25% discount too, which takes the price down to £90 for a 10 week course!

Details can be found at: http://www.total-linguistics.com/courses/french-upper-beginners/