Are Scottish notes legal tender and accepted in England?

I'd be surprised if any major retailer had this as a policy. I'd imaging that an Asda in Carlisle or Berwick-on-Tweed would be quite used to seeing Scottish currency. I would also imagine that if it's his first visit to England he would be quite insulted at having his money refused. Not being funny, but were the store staff concerned more about his money, or about the way he reacted?

It wasnt him that took it in it was my son and his reaction was based on the way the operator said that she wasnt taking the money hon, but I get your point.

Does my head in when people go on about Scottish money being legal tender.

Scottish bank notes are not legal tender in England!

Basically legal tender is tender a debtor must accept to pay off your debts. If you tried to pay your council tax with sugar puffs, the council could take you the court and say you haven't paid because sugar puffs are not legal tender.

They couldn't take you to court if you tried to pay with English bank notes because English bank notes ARE legal tender thus if you tried to pay with those and they didn't take it, they couldn't sue you for non payment.

Nobody in England has to take Scottish banknotes to settle a debt because Scottish banknotes, for the last bloody time, are not legal tender.

But even if it was legal tender, if they don't want it in they till, what you gonna do? They don't have to serve you. They're not obliged to make the transaction. I could go up with real money and they wouldn't have to serve me.

Going to the Bureau de Change office is a bit much, just pay on his card or take some cash out the ATM :confused:

You're looking for sympathy you just aren't going to get on the Sheffield Forum.

Edited by Forumosaurus

Does my head in when people go on about Scottish money being legal tender.

Scottish bank notes are not legal tender in England!

Basically legal tender is tender a debtor must accept to pay off your debts. If you tried to pay your council tax with sugar puffs, the council could take you the court and say you haven't paid because sugar puffs are not legal tender.

They couldn't take you to court if you tried to pay with English bank notes because English bank notes ARE legal tender thus if you tried to pay with those and they didn't take it, they couldn't sue you for non payment.

Nobody in England has to take Scottish banknotes to settle a debt because Scottish banknotes, for the last bloody time, are not legal tender.

But even if it was legal tender, if they don't want it in they till, what you gonna do? They don't have to serve you. They're not obliged to make the transaction. I could go up with real money and they wouldn't have to serve me.

Going to the Bureau de Change office is a bit much, just pay on his card or take some cash out the ATM :confused:

You're looking for sympathy you just aren't going to get on the Sheffield Forum.

Much the same than that English banknotes are not legal tender in Scotland if you read this.

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

I spend quite a lot of time around the Scottish borders and I regularly return to Sheffield and spend Scottish notes.

I have paid in Scottish notes at Asda just off the Parkway on at least 2 occasions. No problem at all.

Much the same than that English banknotes are not legal tender in Scotland if you read this.

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

Much the same as Scottish Banknotes are not legal tender anywhere, not even in Scotland.

I work in a shop and we do accept Scottish notes, but we also accept vouchers and coupons and gift certificates, non of which are legal tender.

Wish we didn't accept them.

I use Scottish notes all the time, and am well aware of the legal tender issue (i.e they aren't, but that doesn't really matter as it's not the point, they are legal currency)

I't generally helps that I am actually Scottish - but I have to accept that the average goon shop assistant is hardly going to be versed in the laws of the land governing the issue, and will rely on store policy to not accept notes they fear may be fake - as Scottish notes are unusual in this country, they don't know how to check, so refuse. I accept they are well within their rights to refuse service.

Technically, Scottish bank notes are not legal tender even is Scotland, since they are issued by individual banking companies, rather than a central bank or mint. You will notice that they say Clydesdale Bank or RBS or whatever on them, and there is quite a variety. Herein lies the problem for businesses, especially in England: employees can't really be expected to keep up with what is a genuine note or not, and so the risk of accepting counterfeits increases.

Individual banks within Scotland have a "gentlemen's" (sorry to use that word in relation to a bunch of bankers) agreement to accept & exchange one another's notes, as do banks in England and Scotland.

Any English bank will be happy to exchange Scottish notes for English, and vice versa, without charge- we bank their funny money regularly.

Technically, Scottish bank notes are not legal tender even is Scotland, since they are issued by individual banking companies, rather than a central bank or mint.

But that's irrelevant to the question of whether shops will, or should, accept them. Nobody is required to accept legal tender, except for a court when payment is being lodged to settle a debt.

But that's irrelevant to the question of whether shops will, or should, accept them. Nobody is required to accept legal tender, except for a court when payment is being lodged to settle a debt.

I wasn't making any claims as to the specific relevance of my post, just trying, in my own humble way, to explain a little background to the situation.

And while we're on the topic of relevance, I'm not sure your own post has helped the OP a great deal either.

I'm sorry if I've spoiled your day, HeadingNorth.

have had this problem before easiest solution go into town into a branch of the royal bank of Scotland and ask them to change them or to the post office

it is usually just a case of people not being aware what the Scottish notes look like which makes them unsure of these are forgeries

best of luck

Ive always worked in retail and have always accepted scottish and Irish notes as well as £50 but the £50 are always double checked by another member of staff, never had a problem accepting them, just one person didnt want it back in change!

ont see the problem myself, just ignorance :)