Are Scottish notes legal tender and accepted in England?

I didn't make myself very clear, what i should have said is... if you offer a £10 (or £20) note for something costing less than a fiver you are likely to get a £1 note instead of a fiver in your change.

How dishonest is that ... mind you the Scots have never liked us :hihi:

Anyway I wont take them now and I dont see why they don't just take them to the bank and get them changed for English money. In fact, I can't see why they're allowed to have different money anyway, we're all supposed to be one nation :rolleyes:

This makes me so mad (I'm from Glasgow) I've been living in Sheffield for 5 years now and when i go home or my family come to visit i hate the hassle you get with people saying "I don't know if we take this kind of money" and words like that.

They are checked the same as english notes, they are water marked and the magic pen thingy works on them. People down here in shops often make me feel like a criminal when trying to use these with the amount of hulla-baloo that goes into taking the note but that just makes me more determined to use what ever scottish notes i have!

p.s i know £1 notes aren't legal tender in england but my daughter was given a £1 note from a relative in scotland and on return to shefield it was mistaken for a fiver! lol

I never accept these in my change when I'm in England and why should I be expected to? After all, I wouldn't be expected to accept rupees, roubles or baht in my change, any more than shops would be prepared to take them in payment.

As far as I'm concerned scottish money is foreign money just like the abovementioned and as such has no place in the English economy. This is why we have a Bank of ENGLAND.

but scottish ££ is sterling, it is written on the note so its legal tender but i refused it as i cant tell the real from the fake

but scottish ££ is sterling, it is written on the note so its legal tender but i refused it as i cant tell the real from the fake

It's not legal tender, although it is sterling. This fact shouldn't prevent it from being used in payment for goods, but the inability of many shop workers to differentiate between a legit Scottish note and a fake one (I wouldn't know..) may have a lot to do with it.

northern irish notes are marked as sterling, i tried to spend one in argos the lady refused it and said "ireland is all euros,you cant even spend it in ireland" i told her only the south of ireland was euros and that as the north was under british rule we still used pounds/sterling and it was legal tender,she told me to pull the other one! we can spend english/scottish money in northern ireland so we should be able to use ulster money in the rest of the uk- it is legal as are scottish notes people are just wary as they dont see the notes much

I never accept these in my change when I'm in England and why should I be expected to? After all, I wouldn't be expected to accept rupees, roubles or baht in my change, any more than shops would be prepared to take them in payment.

As far as I'm concerned scottish money is foreign money just like the abovementioned and as such has no place in the English economy. This is why we have a Bank of ENGLAND.

Why should english notes be accepted in scotland then?

English notes are legal tender in Scotland, although they're pretty rare. This is despite Scottish notes not being legal tender, even though everyone accepts them. This is due to some idiot forgetting a sentence in a law three hundred years ago. Scottish shops are also much more likely to accept Northern Irish notes comapred to down here, although those NI transparent fivers are way too cool to actually spend.

I've also never heard of anyone mistaking a green, tiny, rare £1 for a blue, bigger, common fiver before.

Quite. We should all have to change our money at the border really, just to be on the safe side.

Although, as I previously mentioned, why do we all have different money anyway? We being Ulster, Scotland and Wales/England?

ps loving the christmas decorations on the thread headers :D

English notes are legal tender in Scotland

nope. No notes of any description are legal tender in Scotland; not even their own.

So when you go to the shops do you have to barter?

No, because legal tender has damn-all to do with payment for goods and services. See my earlier link.

They shouldn't be. Simple as that. :wink: