Are Scottish notes legal tender and accepted in England?

I have never known anyone have problems in Scotland with English money.

The number of English people who visit Scotland in a year, is probably larger than the entire Scottish population; so everyone in Scotland will be very used to seeing English currency.

Conversely, though, I can't even remember the last time I saw a Scottish note here in Sheffield. It does not surprise me that shop assistants don't recognise them as valid currency; it is a little disappointing that their employers don't spend half a morning training them.

I like the scottish notes:)

Always bring them back

I have never known anyone have problems in Scotland with English money.

But we have proper money, not that funny monopoly stuff that Scots try to pass off to English people.

When you consider that the value of a Scottish note relies on the solvency of each bank, rather than a central bank, I don't think I'd accept one either. Not exactly the best track record. Mind you, I suppose RBS and BoS could just use BoE notes really now.

When I worked in a shop, I was told to use my discression and not to accept the more obscure notes. I could if I wanted simply refuse because I didn't like the look of someone with Scottish notes.

im an average GOON checkout assistant not asda and our company do accept scottish notes

It is difficult as no shop has to accept any tender at all despite what people think and as a lot of forgeries are knocking about people are scared to accept because if the twenty quid note they take is fake, the employee generally has to have it deducted from their wages, for someone on minimum wage this is a good three hours pay. It is unfortunate but one of those things.

This is the most likely reason - if the employee is unable to identify the note as genuine, then they will refuse it.

Maybe they'd been trained quite well, just trained to not accept Scottish notes.

That would not be good training.

It would be good training if the company's policy is not to accept non BOE notes as the risk of loss is increased.

Many shops that have a lot of low-value cash transactions won't touch 50 pound notes for the same reason. And they're far more likely to encounter a 50 note than one of the many different Scots' notes.

I remember going to see Idlewild, a proudly Scottish band, playing at The Leadmill.

The place was full of Scots, and the bar was refusing Scottish notes.

Don't think I've ever heard so much swearing.

It would be good training if the company's policy is not to accept non BOE notes as the risk of loss is increased.

It would be bad training no matter what their rationale might be.

... they're far more likely to encounter a 50 note than one of the many different Scots' notes.

Really? I see Scots notes pretty often. I can't say I have ever had a £50 note in my wallet. I'd be more suspicious of someone spending a £50 than Scottish notes.

Scottish bank notes are legal tender in england and should not be refused by any shop, you should have asked to speak to the manager, not the ass manager as thats what some shops do, the supervise nor the cleaner you want the manager now! if you don't get the main man refuse to leave the shop until you do, if they still refuse write or e-mail the head office. you could ring but again you will be passed from one person to another, again if no one replays to your letter, try ringing again and keep ring till you get someone. then you need to write a letter of complaint starting with the manager, then the head office cos termer services, but don't stop there write to the area manager, go right to the chairman, you should get a letter of appology and if your lucky a £20 voucher, don't let it drop untill you are satisfied, threaten them with going to the sun or another news paper we don't complain enough in this country and we really should complain more good luck