Littlebigone (chess) broadband customer?

Been with these guys (littlebigone) for 18 months and been looking around at other deals seeing as im at the end of my contract, found plusnet offering 76MB line (up to 61 actual) for less than im paying now, so got back in touch with my supplier and told them what i have told you so far and they told me they should be able to price match my deal if i could get it mailed to them. plusnet mailed me the wrong quotation out with deals that were not up to date, so i contacted plusnet again via live chat, then emailed the session with the quotation in writing and proof of email from plusnet.

littlebigone or should i say chess telecom declined the email, so i went a little further as to take screen grabs of the sign up process for plusnet so it showed all the facts and figures, had a call back from chess this morning after waiting 5 days for a reply to say they cant match it, further more even though im free from my contract i will still have to pay £99 for them to disconnect me!! even though i restated that my contract was over !

where do i stand with this?

i signed up for an 18month contract with littlebigone (broadband only)

http://littlebigone.com/files/terms.pdf

and not chess telecom who now own the rights to my contract?

You shouldn't have to pay any money for disconnection if you're out of contract.

Tell them you no longer want them to provide internet services and cancel the direct debit.

ask them to put the 99 quid in writing and then foward it to ofcom, as they are not allowed to do that, ofcom banned this practice couple of years ago!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

7.6 When the Customer ends the Services with LBO they will have to pay a cease

charge of £127 (exc VAT). The Customer will not have to pay this charge in the

event they are moving home and LBO are able to provide the service at the new

address. If the Customer is migrating services to another ISP on the Digital Region

network, the cease charge is £45 (exc VAT).

EDIT -

Wait sorry, why do chess telecom now own your line?

EDIT2 -

Nvm, looks like chess have about 9 different companies, including LBO. Unfortunately it looks as if the charge stands. I would see what will happen to your line if you don't pay lbo, if all they'll do is cease your phone connection then Plusnet can re-provide for you for free.

Edited by kwhelpton

Surely the above charges are for ceasing the contract before the minimum term has been served?

If you are outside of your 18 month contract I can't imagine there are any charges that can be levied against you for leaving.

I can't see anywhere in the LBO terms file a minimum contract length.

Maybe I've missed it and someone else can indicate the paragraph number.

For example BT usually have minimum contract lengths of 12, 18, & 24 months

and leaving early means paying an exit fee.

It could be that LBO operate some form of continuous contract ( I don't know

the correct term ) and thus can demand an exit fee when you leave.

Paragraph 7.6

Ofcom instructed ISPs to phase out Automatically Renewable Contracts (ARCs)

by the end of December 2012

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/09/ofcom-bans-rollover-contracts/

So if you have a bit a paper from LBO saying minimum contract 18 months

then you may have an argument that the terms are unfair and you can involve Ofcom,

see the following link on how to proceed:

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/contracts/

7. ending the contract....

if i have served my 18month contract which i signed for... then there is no longer a contract to adhere to right?

also my phone line is bt.

You need to ask littlebigone to clarify why they're charging you £99. We don't have that crucial piece of information. Get the specific reason for the charge, ie: line cease.

7. ending the contract....

also my phone line is bt.

As a smpf customer, you should be able to migrate away to any service provider without a mac code or cease charge.

they said it was a disconnection fee... they can leave it connected for me i wont pay it

as for minimum contract lengths it states those on sign up as different services require different minimum contract terms.

Make a formal complaint in writing (recorded delivery) to the ISP. If that doesn't help then you should be able to go to an ombudsman, read the links from Mikes10.