Sheffield Council trying to kill off city centre pubs and bars?

Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.

• Yes I use the town less in an evening as a result of charges to 8.30
    • No It has had no effect on my trips into town or the time I spend there.

Well that is true, just as it is not in SCC's interest to attract anyone into the city centre because it costs them money to clear up after us, and light the streets etc. That probably explains their policies.

On the other hand it is very much in the interest of Sheffield's retailers to attract folk into the city, including bimbos from Derbyshire (although I am neither a bimbo nor from Derbyshire) because we are the one's who spend the money that keeps them open.

We are a very fickle breed. We can go into a restaurant at Middle Handley or on Arundel Street as the fancy takes us. Such decisions on where to spend that cash based on trivial little details like do we really want to get soaked walking to the restaurant whilst paying for the privilege.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 15:10 ----------

Why do you think Hull did this?

Because it offers the parking spaces that are free nearest to Meadowhall?

Well that is true, just as it is not in SCC's interest to attract anyone into the city centre because it costs them money to clear up after us, and light the streets etc. That probably explains their policies.

On the other hand it is very much in the interest of Sheffield's retailers to attract folk into the city, including bimbos from Derbyshire (although I am neither a bimbo nor from Derbyshire) because we are the one's who spend the money that keeps them open.

We are a very fickle breed. We can go into a restaurant at Middle Handley or on Arundel Street as the fancy takes us. Such decisions on where to spend that cash based on trivial little details like do we really want to get soaked walking to the restaurant whilst paying for the privilege.

If you think SCC don't want people and lights in the city centre then the next time you hobble up to West Street on your stilettos have a look at all the buses, trams, flats and street lights and ask yourself who was responsible for getting them all.

People get soaked walking from the tram stop and bus stop. Car drivers shouldn't be any different. In any case it's been a very dry year so that extra quid you've been asked to spend hasn't cost you that many soakings. I doubt if the yokels of Middle Handley keep West Street ticking over anyway. It's more likely to be people from China or Parson Cross.

There only seems to be one restaurant in Middle Handley by the way. Maybe demand is low because us Sheffielders are put off from driving there due to the lack of civilisation.

Edited by LeMaquis

There only seems to be one restaurant in Middle Handley by the way. Maybe demand is low because us Sheffielders are put off from driving there due to the lack of civilisation.

Actually I suspect you couldn't afford it even if you could get a reservation. There isn't exactly a shortage of customers from Sheffield and from Chesterfield. It seems a very civilised part of the world to me. If I could afford to live there I probably would do.

I notice you aren't denying you work for the council though.

Perhaps this will get past the blinkers.

‘Draconian parking fees are damaging business’ in Sheffield

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/draconian-parking-fees-are-damaging-business-in-sheffield-1-5987415

Government minister Eric Pickles has criticised Sheffield’s parking fees - saying ‘draconian’ parking policies and ‘over-zealous’ wardens are driving shoppers away.

Well actually, he was making general comments about parking and never mentioned Sheffield, but the Star don't let that get in the way of another Council knocking story do they?

Eric has launched a consultation about various elements of parking, like allowing "grace" periods, when your pay and display ticket has expired. Which SCC already do by the way, so their enforcement is hardly "draconian".

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 01:14 ----------

Why do you think Hull did this?

Same reason SCC are doing free after 3 on

Wednesdays in the run up to Christmas.

Actually I suspect you couldn't afford it even if you could get a reservation.

If I could afford to live there I probably would do.

If I wanted to I could live there no problem, unlike you. I just wouldn't want to live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by bimbos, sheep and one restaurant.

Wow... a shop owner and someone from car forum. Is that supposed to be evidence. Hardly independent and unbiased is it?!

But rather better than the evidence you produced based on your own car hating principals. Why not find a bar owner who says his trade has increased now no one car park near to it any more.

Surely the council are the ones who should drive the process, make parking free, and engage local businesses in a dialogue about increasing evening footfall and increasing evening opening...

Absolutely. A couple of years ago Wirral council made all parking free after 3pm. It increased business in the town centres over the big shopping parks.

Now they've scrapped it and things have returned to how they were.

But we still have the close at 5.30 mentality. And I don't mean the shops let the last customer in at 5.29. By 5.30 the lights are out and the shutters are coming down.

But rather better than the evidence you produced based on your own car hating principals. Why not find a bar owner who says his trade has increased now no one car park near to it any more.

Absolutely. A couple of years ago Wirral council made all parking free after 3pm. It increased business in the town centres over the big shopping parks.

Now they've scrapped it and things have returned to how they were.

But we still have the close at 5.30 mentality. And I don't mean the shops let the last customer in at 5.29. By 5.30 the lights are out and the shutters are coming down.

Bang on cue.

Therein lies the problem. The council makes money from parking and not increased trade in the local shops. Perhaps if rates were based on profitability and not floor area they might see things rather differently.

Edited by Uptowngirl

Again, here you go again with your stupid assumptions. Car hating, yes? If I am full with car hating principles, why then do I have a car and drive within the city?

I am not the one making out that evening parking charges have killed the off the city centre. It's not up to me prove otherwise. If you are going to make bold statements, at least have the evidence to support your claim.

By the way, name me a bar in Sheffield where you are unable to park near?

Well actually, he was making general comments about parking and never mentioned Sheffield, but the Star don't let that get in the way of another Council knocking story do they?

Eric has launched a consultation about various elements of parking, like allowing "grace" periods, when your pay and display ticket has expired. Which SCC already do by the way, so their enforcement is hardly "draconian".

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 01:14 ----------

Same reason SCC are doing free after 3 on

Wednesdays in the run up to Christmas.

1. Can you tell me which streets in the centre this happens on?

2. Three Wednesdays before Xmas is hardly an incentive, why not make every evening free for a fortnight.

Eric has launched a consultation about various elements of parking, like allowing "grace" periods, when your pay and display ticket has expired. Which SCC already do by the way, so their enforcement is hardly "draconian".[

Yes that happens. A couple of weeks back I went to get a few quick photos of the old market before it shut. I stuck 1/2 hour in a meter below Fitzalan Square. I got back within 28 minutes and a warden was already circling. I sat in the car for a couple of minutes waiting for the missus to catch up and was made aware that if I didn't shift my car immediately I would get a ticket. No 5 minutes there. I doubt I managed 30 seconds.

I notice you aren't denying you work for the council though.

Perhaps this will get past the blinkers.

‘Draconian parking fees are damaging business’ in Sheffield

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/draconian-parking-fees-are-damaging-business-in-sheffield-1-5987415

Government minister Eric Pickles has criticised Sheffield’s parking fees - saying ‘draconian’ parking policies and ‘over-zealous’ wardens are driving shoppers away.

His comments come as one struggling Sheffield retailer said increased charges had cut trade by 40 per cent.

Sheffield Council recently put up on-street parking charges in the city centre by 17 per cent - and brought in Sunday and evening charges.

Only bank holiday Mondays are now free.

Mr Pickles said: “The quality of parking is important; it should be convenient, safe and secure.

“Parking charges should be appropriate and not undermine the vitality of city and town centres and local shops. Parking enforcement should be proportionate.

“Anti-car measures are driving motorists into the arms of internet retailers and out of town superstores, taking their custom with them.

“Over-zealous parking wardens have inflicted real damage on local economies and given many towns and councils a bad name.

“Town Halls need to ditch their anti-car dogma. Making it easier to park will help support local shops, local jobs and tourism.”

He was backed by traders and motorists.

Alex Mir, manager of Sa-kis on Division Street, said: “The increased charges have hit us - particularly on Sundays, which used to be free.

“Our turnover on Sundays has gone down 30 to 40 per cent since the charges were brought in. People are going to Meadowhall instead.”

Rob Prior, of Sheffield Motorists’ Forum, added: “I totally agree with Eric Pickles. The council only needs the money from parking charges because it is bloated with far too many people doing too little.”

I cant understand why bank holiday mondays are free. Whats so special about them? The Council is missing a trick. Clearly they could increase trade in the city centre by charging on this day like all the rest.