Sheffield Council trying to kill off city centre pubs and bars?

Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.

• Yes I use the town less in an evening as a result of charges to 8.30
    • No It has had no effect on my trips into town or the time I spend there.

You can probably get away with one small glass of wine.

There's a big gap between that and throwing up though.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 12:07 ----------

just notice a sign to park in sheffield at bottom of moor on street parking for work £24 ! also notice the Car hire car parked in its own bay ? do they pay for parking or are they charged for this?

Isn't the highest charge for on street parking about £5 now?

You can probably get away with one small glass of wine.

That's fine. If I have a car full I can manage a meal with just one glass of wine one in four or five times. I'd rather do that and be able to dress to thrill rather than tramp across town in the rain with flat shoes and a big coat.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 12:21 ----------

Isn't the highest charge for on street parking about £5 now?

Last time I parked in Sheffield Town Centre I was charges £1 for each half hour.

Why, what planet do you live on?

Anyhow, this thread was initially about pubs and bars... not shops. Still awaiting to see hard evidence to show how these parking changes have impacted, if at all, on the bars and pubs.

Clearly you live on Planet Council Employee. If you want evidence it is up at the top of this thread. It seems there are rather more folk who say the parking has impacted on their trips into Sheffield than not.

It is the brick headed attitude of Sheffield Council that still haven't worked out why folk shop at Meadowhall and drink in pubs away from the city, and why pretty much anywhere in the city centre away fro West Street is a ghost town at night. I bet they still have no idea why they can't get investment for Sevenstones. It is because they ignore any evidence they don't want to hear.u

That's fine. If I have a car full I can manage a meal with just one glass of wine one in four or five times. I'd rather do that and be able to dress to thrill rather than tramp across town in the rain with flat shoes and a big coat.

Last time I parked in Sheffield Town Centre I was charges £1 for each half hour.

I think the new charges have been widely discussed in this thread haven't they? It goes down to £1 for the rest of the evening from 1830 onwards, and the maximum all day on street charge is £5 (I think).

I'd forgotten about your inability to walk more than a few metres though when dining out.

I'm slightly less precious and can manage to walk from the nearest parking space, or indeed from the tram stop.

Clearly you live on Planet Council Employee. If you want evidence it is up at the top of this thread. It seems there are rather more folk who say the parking has impacted on their trips into Sheffield than not.

It is the brick headed attitude of Sheffield Council that still haven't worked out why folk shop at Meadowhall and drink in pubs away from the city, and why pretty much anywhere in the city centre away fro West Street is a ghost town at night. I bet they still have no idea why they can't get investment for Sevenstones. It is because they ignore any evidence they don't want to hear.u

Let me get this right, if someone disagrees with the whole notion of Sheffield being anti-car, they are somehow in cohoots with the council?

A Sheffield Forum survey is not evidence. Apart from the fact it's biased, as we know many people seem to have an unhealthy hatred of the council, it proves nothing. Give me independent evidence from a non biased source :)

Mmmm Meadowhall was built for one purpose and that was for shopping. Of course it's going to attract shoppers. People come to Sheffield city centre for much more than shopping, shopping only makes up a small part of the city centre.

And anyway, this is not about shopping... as already stated, most shops are closed by the time the new evening charges kick in. As for the charges, if you can afford to run a car, pay your running costs and still afford a night out, then you are not going to grumble if you have to pay a quid or so.

Ah yes Middle HanDley. The Devonshire Arms.

No wonder folk couldn't find it. It's like looking for Yok or Barnsey.

People, glass houses, stones, throw, not.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 13:16 ----------

It is only Chavs that feel going to a pub or restaurant means drinking until you throw up on the pavement outside.

An awful lot of chavs seem to have become students then. I seem to remember one urinating on a war memorial a couple of years ago and another stepping in front of a vehicle outside the student bar on Glossop Road last year after a full day's drinking. Maybe the fact that you're a student makes you blind (drunk) to student indiscretions.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 13:18 ----------

I'd rather do that and be able to dress to thrill rather than tramp across town in the rain with flat shoes and a big coat.

It is not in SCC's interest to change their policies to suit bimbos in Derbyshire.

Let me get this right, if someone disagrees with the whole notion of Sheffield being anti-car, they are somehow in cohoots with the council?

A Sheffield Forum survey is not evidence. Apart from the fact it's biased, as we know many people seem to have an unhealthy hatred of the council, it proves nothing. Give me independent evidence from a non biased source :)

Mmmm Meadowhall was built for one purpose and that was for shopping. Of course it's going to attract shoppers. People come to Sheffield city centre for much more than shopping, shopping only makes up a small part of the city centre.

And anyway, this is not about shopping... as already stated, most shops are closed by the time the new evening charges kick in. As for the charges, if you can afford to run a car, pay your running costs and still afford a night out, then you are not going to grumble if you have to pay a quid or so.

I notice you aren't denying you work for the council though.

Perhaps this will get past the blinkers.

‘Draconian parking fees are damaging business’ in Sheffield

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/draconian-parking-fees-are-damaging-business-in-sheffield-1-5987415

Government minister Eric Pickles has criticised Sheffield’s parking fees - saying ‘draconian’ parking policies and ‘over-zealous’ wardens are driving shoppers away.

His comments come as one struggling Sheffield retailer said increased charges had cut trade by 40 per cent.

Sheffield Council recently put up on-street parking charges in the city centre by 17 per cent - and brought in Sunday and evening charges.

Only bank holiday Mondays are now free.

Mr Pickles said: “The quality of parking is important; it should be convenient, safe and secure.

“Parking charges should be appropriate and not undermine the vitality of city and town centres and local shops. Parking enforcement should be proportionate.

“Anti-car measures are driving motorists into the arms of internet retailers and out of town superstores, taking their custom with them.

“Over-zealous parking wardens have inflicted real damage on local economies and given many towns and councils a bad name.

“Town Halls need to ditch their anti-car dogma. Making it easier to park will help support local shops, local jobs and tourism.”

He was backed by traders and motorists.

Alex Mir, manager of Sa-kis on Division Street, said: “The increased charges have hit us - particularly on Sundays, which used to be free.

“Our turnover on Sundays has gone down 30 to 40 per cent since the charges were brought in. People are going to Meadowhall instead.”

Rob Prior, of Sheffield Motorists’ Forum, added: “I totally agree with Eric Pickles. The council only needs the money from parking charges because it is bloated with far too many people doing too little.”

Edited by Dingus

I notice you aren't denying you work for the council though.

Perhaps this will get past the blinkers.

‘Draconian parking fees are damaging business’ in Sheffield

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/draconian-parking-fees-are-damaging-business-in-sheffield-1-5987415

Government minister Eric Pickles has criticised Sheffield’s parking fees - saying ‘draconian’ parking policies and ‘over-zealous’ wardens are driving shoppers away.

His comments come as one struggling Sheffield retailer said increased charges had cut trade by 40 per cent.

Sheffield Council recently put up on-street parking charges in the city centre by 17 per cent - and brought in Sunday and evening charges.

Only bank holiday Mondays are now free.

Mr Pickles said: “The quality of parking is important; it should be convenient, safe and secure.

“Parking charges should be appropriate and not undermine the vitality of city and town centres and local shops. Parking enforcement should be proportionate.

“Anti-car measures are driving motorists into the arms of internet retailers and out of town superstores, taking their custom with them.

“Over-zealous parking wardens have inflicted real damage on local economies and given many towns and councils a bad name.

“Town Halls need to ditch their anti-car dogma. Making it easier to park will help support local shops, local jobs and tourism.”

He was backed by traders and motorists.

Alex Mir, manager of Sa-kis on Division Street, said: “The increased charges have hit us - particularly on Sundays, which used to be free.

“Our turnover on Sundays has gone down 30 to 40 per cent since the charges were brought in. People are going to Meadowhall instead.”

Rob Prior, of Sheffield Motorists’ Forum, added: “I totally agree with Eric Pickles. The council only needs the money from parking charges because it is bloated with far too many people doing too little.”

I do not work for the council, never have and never will. What is with the childish assertion that anyone with opposing views is an employee of the council. It makes you look silly.

Wow... a shop owner and someone from car forum. Is that supposed to be evidence. Hardly independent and unbiased is it?!

I would say more complain about the state of the city centre than car parking. Only yesterday we were discussing shops closing early, as early at 4.30pm where in other cities they close at 8pm.

You can make parking free but its pointless if there aren't the shops or shops open.

I would say more complain about the state of the city centre than car parking. Only yesterday we were discussing shops closing early, as early at 4.30pm where in other cities they close at 8pm.

You can make parking free but its pointless if there aren't the shops or shops open.

It is chicken and egg. If no one is around shops won't stay open. Shops stay open late at Meadowhall because there are folk around. But at Meadowhall folk can park.

Surely the council are the ones who should drive the process, make parking free, and engage local businesses in a dialogue about increasing evening footfall and increasing evening opening...

Actually pro-actively do something positive, instead of scrabbling to empty the pockets of the few people who do have a reason to park in the nearly empty city centre in the evening.

It is not in SCC's interest to change their policies to suit bimbos in Derbyshire.

Well that is true, just as it is not in SCC's interest to attract anyone into the city centre because it costs them money to clear up after us, and light the streets etc. That probably explains their policies.

On the other hand it is very much in the interest of Sheffield's retailers to attract folk into the city, including bimbos from Derbyshire (although I am neither a bimbo nor from Derbyshire) because we are the one's who spend the money that keeps them open.

We are a very fickle breed. We can go into a restaurant at Middle Handley or on Arundel Street as the fancy takes us. Such decisions on where to spend that cash based on trivial little details like do we really want to get soaked walking to the restaurant whilst paying for the privilege.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 15:10 ----------

Why do you think Hull did this?

Hull City Council lifts weekend parking fees

A city council is suspending car park charges each weekend at its three multi-storey facilities in the run-up to Christmas.

Officials in Hull said the charges would be lifted on Saturdays and Sundays at the sites until 29 December.

The car parks are at Osborne Street, Pryme Street and George Street.

Council officers said the car parks had a total of 1,400 spaces.