'Millions Like Us' film, just like war-time Sheffield.

The war-time British film ' Millions Like Us' is useful for showing young people how Sheffield's industries were at that time, and up to the start of the decline in the 1970's . I don't know where it was filmed, but it perfectly depicts women factory workers as they were in the city in my childhood, cheery, big busted lasses in overalls and work turbans singing along to 'Workers' Playtime' on the wireless ! The canteen scene with the singer Bertha Wilmot will interest older members and is available on You Tube. " What's a wireless granddad ?" !

The war-time British film ' Millions Like Us' is useful for showing young people how Sheffield's industries were at that time, and up to the start of the decline in the 1970's . I don't know where it was filmed, but it perfectly depicts women factory workers as they were in the city in my childhood, cheery, big busted lasses in overalls and work turbans singing along to 'Workers' Playtime' on the wireless ! The canteen scene with the singer Bertha Wilmot will interest older members and is available on You Tube. " What's a wireless granddad ?" !

Thanks for that david. It provided me with a vivid reminder, in particular of my dear old Mum and in general of what her generation experienced. As a young newly wed at the outbreak of WWII she worked throughout the conflict on a turret lathe at Laycock Engineering making aero engine components; along, no doubt, with hundreds of other women. I almost expected to see her singing along with the rest!

echo.

For me it brings back vivid memory's of being about three years old sat on a Tram at night in me little siren suit, carrying a box with a Mickey mouse gas mask in it, fed up, half a sleep an roowerin, travelling down Attercliffe common to the English steels nursery when me mum was on nights.

A must a bin a reight miserable little so an so....:nod:

Edited by grinder

Had run away from Fullwood homes I'd been gone for 3 days and being as my food scrounging had not gone to well on this trip, I decided to go back for a meal, now being very sly for an 8yr old I asked the passing Lady for the way to Lodge Moor, asking me are you hungry ,who me! taking me back to her place I worked my way round well over half of her big apple pie just stuffing my face when the Homes super walked in (Hmm how did she know)now often wonder it was 43/44 food was hard to get just who was that big apple pie for

Can someone provide me with a link please? Thanks

(film) 1943

My Dad claimed he appeared as one of the extras in 'Millions Like Us'. There is a scene at a dance hall, when a group of RAF personnel arrive at the local dance hall and the main character played by Gordon Jackson meets Celia, one of the factory girls. I've got the film on DVD, and despite freezing the dance scenes I can't actually spot my Dad. Nethertheless he was in the RAF based in Lincolnshire during the war, and he told me the dance scene was filmed somewhere close to the RAF base. Not sure if the factory scenes were filmed in Sheffield though.