Neighbours are stealing my cat!

I live in Walkley and have 2 cats. One constantly goes missing for the entire day. I know where he goes because I've seen him sitting in their window sill and have been round to collect him on a couple of occasions. So far, when I've gone round I've asked them to make sure they don't feed him and and have explained that we worry when he's gone (i.e. trying to get them to stop letting him in). They say they lock their cat flap so he can't get in but can get out but apparently he'll go in when their door is open and stay there all day. Where do I go from here? Here's a very endearing, nosey cat and goes in every open door he sees. The difference is that other neighbours kick him out!

1 of my cats used to do it with a neighbour across road from us, she kept bringing him home and he kept going, it got to the stage where we both got fed up, and agreed if he wanted to be there she would have him, now, a few years down the line, 1 of my other cats has done exactly the same, so she now has 2 of mine, as we live on the same street i still get to see them. I think cats go where they want too, theres not a lot you can do.

At least your neighbour tried to give them back and was on your side. Maybe the neighbours give them nicer food!

A few years ago we went on holiday and got my mum to come feed the cats twice a day. When we came back from hols one of our cats had started going into a neighbours house and started coming home less and less. We went round and spoke to them and they said their kids loved the cat and they wouldn't stop her going in there. Now, she lives there, sits in their windows and if we call her name when she's in the garden she turns her back and ignores us!!! Every time we see her it hurts, but at least we know she's well and happy where she is.

cats do EXACTLY what they want when they want

so you don't think i should pursue this with the neighbours? Get them to stop letting him in?

Can't you stop letting him out?

What is it with Cat owners being complete doormats for their pets.

If you want the damn thing to stay in your house then lock the door!

It clearly doesn't wanna go out and exercise because all it does it go next door and sit in someone else's house.

Tell them he's diabetic and needs a special diet

so you don't think i should pursue this with the neighbours? Get them to stop letting him in?

They have a cat flap they can't stop your cat coming in.

i have had my adopted cat for 3 years now, she used to live round the corner, in a house with other cats, but every day she was sitting on my fence. her owner used to take her home, but she would come straight back, eventually the owners told me to keep her, i think they were a bit miffed, but they knew we would look after her... now she is well pampered.

cats go where they want, u can't stop them.

Geared, its really not easy to keep a cat in! Especially one that's determined to get out! They will scratch at the door, pull up carpets, damage sofas, cutains etc and will meow constantly!

If they don't mind your cat being in their house, i'd leave him to it. He's obviously happy there.

Perhaps your cat has social stresses in your house with the other cat? It's not always obvious, other than the main symptom which is going off to spend their time somewhere else.

My eldest has more or less "dumped" me. Having lives with cats for 27 out of 38 years it's the first time I've ever been "dumped". She comes home sometimes, eats and slopes off again.

She doesn't dislike me, when I'm on the street outside her new home, she wants me to go into their house with her

She just hasn't felt settled in her old territory since the balance shifted, not when a new cat arrived 3 years ago, but when her lifelong companion cat died 2 years ago. After that she started to drift off

I have removed a new collar and put a different new one on her to say "she has a home" but sometimes cats will stray and live rough if they really don't want to come home, so I'm happy that she's still mooching around and getting attention somewhere, even if she no longer comes to cuddle up at night