No ebooks allowed at Upperthorpe swimming pool

At my son's swimming lessons at Zest Upperthorpe swimming pool today I was told today to turn off my ebook or leave the building. I understand the need to ban camera-equipped devices, but why ebooks? When I asked the duty manager (who is ironically based in the library) he said the new ban included ebooks as their staff couldn't tell the difference between ebooks and tablets, and if I wanted to read I should get a paperback from the library.

With something like 25% of all new book sales being on ereaders, and with your baisc Kindles etc no having cameras and therefore being no risk, does anyone else think these new rules go just a bit too far?

I'm going to make matters worse - would it be impossible to give your child your undivided attention for the duration of his lesson?

I'm going to make matters worse - would it be impossible to give your child your undivided attention for the duration of his lesson?

Then why post for the sake of it ?

Then why post for the sake of it ?

Because it's a very good point.

But does the OP need to give his child full attention when they are at a swimming lesson and are being taught at the time? From what I remember, ZEST discourages parents from being involved in their childrens lessons but still likes them to be there:S

Edited by Lucy-Lastic

I don't get this - were they banning you from using an e-reader because they are worried about people taking pictures on tablets?

So have they banned phones as well?

Even if someone did take a picture in a swimming lesson - so what? Or are they more worried about them being taken in the changing-rooms?

But does the OP need to give his child full attention when they are at a swimming lesson and are being taught at the time? From what I remember, ZEST discourages parents from being involved in their childrens lessons but still likes them to be there:S

IMO it's not full attention in terms of supervision/well being but more moral support and encouragement of your child's personal development (and a crucial key life skill at that).

Sorry OP but I have to agree with the swimming pool and willman - it's about your child (and others) not you.

You have to think something may have gone on previously to warrant this new rule.

And with respect if you don't like it you could always take him somewhere else that doesn't allow viewing privileges.

I couldn't agree more. Children love the undivided attention and support you give just by watching them. I hate to see people either with their snouts in a book,glued to a kindle or obsessed with their phones that they are oblivious to the existence of their children. Read when they are in bed.

Why has this thread been butchered?

To the OP - yes its a crazy rule

So as not to appear like big fat hypocrites (as well as just plain petty) they better take down that surveillance camera that's filming the pool.

So as not to appear like big fat hypocrites (as well as just plain petty) they better take down that surveillance camera that's filming the pool.

No, that's totally different. If there are surveillance cameras present (and they work) it's for the safety/protection* of the Zest staff as well as the patrons.

It's their premises, it's their rules.

*so an angry parent starts to whack the instructors over the head with a Nook they can track them down. ;) jk

The pool management are right to ban ebooks along with all other electronic devices such as cameras, phones and tablets. These are banned, rightly, to prevent people taking photographs of children. Why should a member of staff have to take their eyes off the children they are teaching / lifeguarding to look at what an adult is doing and then have to walk over to check that it is 'just' an e-book and not a tablet that can take photographs as well as let someone read a story.

For those that say this is a crazy rule here are some reasons why photography is banned in public swimming pools:

a) a child in that swimming session / lesson could be being cared for by foster parents - parent takes photograph of their child swimming their first width and in the background are other children. parent places said photo on facebook / twitter and it is seen by someone that knows the child being cared for - tells the parents which could place the child at risk (yes, the risk is low but it could happen)

b) same as above but the child this time is part of a witness protection programme because of something they, or their parents etc, have witnessed

c) Paedophiles can take the most innocent photograph and use it in ways we wouldn't want to think about

---------- Post added 20-07-2013 at 20:53 ----------

This will be carefully controlled, complying with data protection rules and only very few staff will have access to the actual recorded material, which is destroyed after a set number of days. It won't end up on someone's facebook page etc