Fracking in Sheffield?

and here in block SK29, Stocksbridge we have the peak boundary right through the middle of our block. They (Warwick Energy USA) would have to line up wells between the town and the peak boundary on the Whitwell Moor hillside and along to edge of the Peak boundary to Low Bradfield.

Any examples of existing (or past) industrial drilling complexes in the vicinity of the Peak District? So people can decide the impact for themselves?

I think you'll struggle.

The only one I know of locally is at Tibshelf near Chatsworth. It was the site of Britain's first oil well. It's now a garden centre (Oilwell Nursery) and if you go there they will show you the remains. The woman who showed me round said all the plants around the wellhead which still seeps grow very luxuriantly, and she was right. You can also buy a well researched booklet about it and they even sell little bottles of the oil.

It was drilled to help the war effort in WW1, but came on stream slightly after.

Lots of history and photos here - http://www.derbyshireheritage.co.uk/Menu/Industries/hardstoft_oilwell.php

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 00:30 ----------

Of course, there are industrial areas in the peaks. I'm talking about drilling complexes of dozens of wells with the associated pipelines and vehicle traffic.

We have not seen anything like it and when it gets going even its supporters will be shocked. I guarantee it.

My only concern about fracking is the possible negative impact on the countryside. The concerns about pollution, groundwater and earthquakes (haha) are complete non-starters.

It could lead to industrialisation of the countryside with the various sites and associated infrastructure such as tracks and roads to gain access and conect the sites. It could even be as bad as the negative impact from windfarms if unregulated.

If it was regulated well the impact need not be so great as the sites are temporary since production would have a limited life span. What is needed is regulation to restore the sites to their original state when finished with.

This is what is required for oil and gas wells in Holland and Germany. I've returned to visit some abandoned sites of the wells I've drilled there and you really wouldn't know there had ever been a well there.

Of course they are here,and they will be here for some time.Big bucks to be made so ,no amount of protesting is going to stop them.

My mum lives at Halfway and a number of years ago there was a problem with gas leaking from abandoned mine workings into homes there. A number of very visible safety vents were installed around the area to alleviate the problem and in recent months these have been removed.

What I've been trying to find out is, is there a connection between the removal of the vents and the sale of fracking licences in the area?

Anybody know?

Its all about money,they do not care about any negatives have a look at the usa,plenty of problems,have they stopped,no.

Its all about money,they do not care about any negatives have a look at the usa,plenty of problems,have they stopped,no.

The ones already up and running may not have stopped as they were planned and built before the oil price drop. Fortunately the low oil prices has helped to kerb new investment and delayed many new planned operations and I hope the same will happen here.

Yes you are right,but the Saudi,iran situation will bump up world prices,thats why it will carry on regardless.We can only hope for the best but fracking is not good news.

Im sure most people on here who drive are enjoying the 99p per litre petrol/diesel prices. I know i am.

Thats partly down to US shale gas production.

There are no negatives apart from the ones in people's imagination.

There are no negatives apart from the ones in people's imagination.

Pompous nonsense