Fracking in Sheffield?

This was always going to happen despite the protests and negative results involved with fracking.There is too much profits not to proceed and greed will win again.

One day the government signs an international agreement to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, and within a few days they push through legislation to allow the exploitation of fossil fuels in national parks. Bad news for the planet, and bad news for our much-loved part of the planet - it appears that most of the permits are going to be granted for exploration in the north of England. Is anyone surprised that this development came just a few months after the election?

JohnE

Not quite in the National Park, is it?

What's been voted through is allowing drilling under National Parks and AONB from drilling rigs situated outside the area. It was always allowed to drill conventional wells outside these protected areas, so what difference will it make?

One day the government signs an international agreement to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, and within a few days they push through legislation to allow the exploitation of fossil fuels in national parks. Bad news for the planet, and bad news for our much-loved part of the planet - it appears that most of the permits are going to be granted for exploration in the north of England. Is anyone surprised that this development came just a few months after the election?

JohnE

Did you imagine that everyone in the country was about to scrap their car and buy a bike, and convert their heating and lighting to run off a wind turbine overnight?

I dont think that anyone that drives a car or uses gas central heating can complain or protest.

They are just as liable as anyone.

What's been voted through is allowing drilling under National Parks and AONB from drilling rigs situated outside the area. It was always allowed to drill conventional wells outside these protected areas, so what difference will it make?

The drilling rigs will be outside the area but the hydraulic fracturing will happen inside and any negative effects will be felt inside. The Government are just banking on those effects being invisible on the surface.

within a few days they push through legislation to allow the exploitation of fossil fuels in national parks. Bad news for the planet, and bad news for our much-loved part of the planet - it appears that most of the permits are going to be granted for exploration in the north of England. Is anyone surprised that this development came just a few months after the election?

And I see the anti-fracking petitions are using pictures of the Lake District again, despite there being no shale gas in the park.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-34570974

The drilling rigs will be outside the area but the hydraulic fracturing will happen inside and any negative effects will be felt inside. The Government are just banking on those effects being invisible on the surface.

What are the visible effects of fracking apart from the surface facilities?

Any examples of existing (or past) industrial drilling complexes in the vicinity of the Peak District? So people can decide the impact for themselves?

I think you'll struggle.

Any examples of existing (or past) industrial drilling complexes in the vicinity of the Peak District? So people can decide the impact for themselves?

I think you'll struggle.

The Peak District is undermined already isn't it with all the caves and caverns that were mined for semi precious stones and minerals? Not industrial drilling I agree, but underground excavation to get out of the ground what was needed.

The Peak District is undermined already isn't it with all the caves and caverns that were mined for semi precious stones and minerals? Not industrial drilling I agree, but underground excavation to get out of the ground what was needed.

Of course, there are industrial areas in the peaks. I'm talking about drilling complexes of dozens of wells with the associated pipelines and vehicle traffic.

We have not seen anything like it and when it gets going even its supporters will be shocked. I guarantee it.

People chiseling away at minerals is a world away from industrial scale fracking.

It's a no win situation.....except for the companies, many of them foreign owned, who just want to ruin our countryside, get some gas, then sell it on the European market. It won't mean lower prices for British consumers, neither will it mean that "British" fracked gas will be available for domestic consumption, we already sold British Gas so basically any gas fracked from Britain could be sold to Russia, and in return we'd have to buy their gas. That's how free markets and global markets work.

Just looking at the licencing map which shows that almost all of urban Sheffield is now licenced for exploration, and also almost all of the area on the south and west of the city that borders the peak national park.

So, it the rigs were to be setup to drill into the Peak District they would be in scenic areas just outside the national park. Actually right next to the most affluent areas of the city.