The most expensive pub in Sheffield?

well, nicer place to have a drink is of course a matter of opinion - and I can safely say I enjoy drinking in all the places mentioned in their own way...

but for quality of beer on tap, I just can't agree! Shakespeare not only goes through huge numbers of cask ales, but they get decent stuff (especially for us hopheads!), and some stuff you don't see on cask anywhere else e.g. Siren, some of the Buxton specials. Kegwise I'd agree the Rutland currently has the edge simply by having more craft keg lines at present, but the Shakey always has 3 or 4 craft keg now and a lot cheaper. The Bath obviously suffers 'Thornbridge Syndrome' i.e. lots of Thornbridge beers and not a lot else...

Don't see Siren on cask anywhere else? That is amazing considering I had a lot of it at the Rutland towards the end of last year... About the same time as I was drinking Buxton on cask at the Bath actually. That said I prefer those beers on keg anyway usually - especially the stronger ones. And to be honest my experience with cask at the Shakey ain't all that great. Especially during their mini festival last year. Hence me acknowledging that they actually had a couple of good ones on last weekend by way of balance.

We all see things differently I'm sure but rose-tinted specs just ain't my thing I'm afraid. I tend to say as I find, however much I like the place, or not as the case may be. I used to be a huge fan of the Tap for example. Now I'll go if I happen to pass the station, but never make a special journey. It's just not worth it.

ok, I possibly didn't word that quite right - I meant specific beers from the likes of Kernel and Buxton you won't see elsewhere - e.g. Buxton's core range appears on cask in many places, but things like the Pomperimpossa (sp?) are very rare on cask (and not common on keg).

dunno about rose-tinted spectacles, more a case of ranking beer far higher than any other factor - The Shakey has more of the beer that I want (and usually at the price that I want!) than any of the others, so other factors are a side-note.

Went in the old monk the other night...£3.05 for a pint of John Smiths :o

Old Monk seems to be quite expensive now.

Most expensive ale I have paid for is £3.80 in Browns for their only ale - Timothy Taylor`s Landlord.

Wait... you save 50p? a pint by going to Rotherham and then paying 11£ to get back?

That is 22 pints... :loopy: Even at 1£ more that is still 11 pints. At that rate you should go to the Bankers Draft...

Yes got to agree there.

And having worked and had many a session around Rotherham can honestly say unless you like fighting and dirty dark sticky floored pubs I wouldn't bother, and most of the people I worked with who lived there agreed!

Yes, the York Tap, and Pivni, and the Euston Tap are all one and the same along with the Sheffield Tap.

Talking about expensive pubs, I would agree that its mainly the pubCo pubs and pubs/family eateries that are the most expensive for a regular pint. Expensive beers you can have anywhere these days. Most of the 10% + import pints on keg are comfortably £8-12 per pint.

and Harrogate Tap and Leeds Tap

and Harrogate Tap and Leeds Tap

Talking of L**ds, Friends Of Ham is very expensive!

Shakey`s a way ahead of Ruttie for cask offerings and a lot cheaper.

Siren did appear on cask at Bath and Shakey, I think, during festival time and of course they were at Ruttie during their takeover there. I do like the Harlequin even though it kinda needs a revamp. Selection-wise they can be very limited; mostly SE, then Glentworth, maybe a Great Heck and then the likes of Milton, et al. Maybe a SWB on keg. Shakey always has a broad range on cask, more than anywhere else in my experience, plus they`ve upped the keg consideration in the past year.

Shakey`s a way ahead of Ruttie for cask offerings and a lot cheaper.

Siren did appear on cask at Bath and Shakey, I think, during festival time and of course they were at Ruttie during their takeover there. I do like the Harlequin even though it kinda needs a revamp. Selection-wise they can be very limited; mostly SE, then Glentworth, maybe a Great Heck and then the likes of Milton, et al. Maybe a SWB on keg. Shakey always has a broad range on cask, more than anywhere else in my experience, plus they`ve upped the keg consideration in the past year.

Cost seems to come into the argument about the Shakey quite a lot. I guiess you pays your money and takes your choice. And personally I'd rather pay a bit more money not to drink in a shed! ;c)

Cost seems to come into the argument about the Shakey quite a lot. I guiess you pays your money and takes your choice. And personally I'd rather pay a bit more money not to drink in a shed! ;c)

I drink there for the selection, the cost (or lack of...) is a bonus ;)

and as I've said before, if there's nowt I want to drink it can be furnished like the Ritz for all I care, I ain't interested in going (obviously I'm not saying the Rutland etc have nowt I want to drink, but they fall somewhere between the two extremes...)

When i first started drinking in the mid 70's drinking in town was always more expensive than in the suburbs, now that has been reversed for the most part, unless you happen to live in a student area like Broomhill where The Place and Fox And Duck are great value.

Cricket Inn Totley last night.£3.70 pint of real ale £3.20 pint of lemonade.I won't be back.

Cricket Inn Totley last night.£3.70 pint of real ale £3.20 pint of lemonade.I won't be back.

Agree, ridiculous price for lemonade