Maggots for the fishermen.

Looked in your black bin lately,and are you using plastic bags to put foodstuffs into your bin? Everything in plastic bags here, but still, with the fortnightly collection instead of a weekly collection,and the unusual hot weather we are overrun with maggots. I have used all sorts to get rid, but still they thrive. And now a potential Binmen Strike and no collection next week. No need to pay for maggots to go fishing. This just had to happen-----what next------cholera or whatever. The bins need emptying more frequently not less. Stands to reason. Self inflicted health hazard.

Looked in your black bin lately,and are you using plastic bags to put foodstuffs into your bin? Everything in plastic bags here, but still, with the fortnightly collection instead of a weekly collection,and the unusual hot weather we are overrun with maggots. I have used all sorts to get rid, but still they thrive. And now a potential Binmen Strike and no collection next week. No need to pay for maggots to go fishing. This just had to happen-----what next------cholera or whatever. The bins need emptying more frequently not less. Stands to reason. Self inflicted health hazard.

The maggots used for fishing, are much,much more cleaner than wild ones.

Having no problems,foodstuff always double bagged,sluce bin out after each collection .This hot weather is short lived so not much of a problem.

Especially when you suck them!!!! Sorry,only joking !!.

Especially when you suck them!!!! Sorry,only joking !!.

:D:D:D:D They do though! I tend to give waste food to the dog and rise all cans n milk bottles out before placing them in the blue bin. Not sure if it's hand sorted so can't be very nice for the blokes at the other end.

They are the same.

The only reason maggots used/bought for fishing are cleaner, is that they cleaned up in sawdust, the old smelly sawdust is riddled off, and then some new clean sawdust or bran is added.

I've just put my bin out ready for collection tomorrow and a) it's only just over half full and b) it's clean (ish) and free of any maggots

You have to be sensible with packing food waste before putting into the bin

My bin is covered in maggots outside and in, any one got any ideas how to kill them please?

My bin is covered in maggots outside and in, any one got any ideas how to kill them please?

I doubt if you will buy anything off the supermarket shelf to kill them,

the best way would to use very hot or near to boiling water, or use a steam cleaner.

I used two bottles of cheapest bleach , poured into the bin and outside, one bucket of hot water. Two days in the sun, bin is clean and no maggots.

I've used bleach, boiling water, salt, weed killer and they're still there climbing on my front door step! I'm going to ring Environmental Health tomorrow but I've been told they charge a call out fee for 'pests'. Don't think i'll sleep very well tonight, worrying they'll get into the house!