Good idea to move the 2022 world cup to the winter?

they were suggesting in the times this morning that the world cup could be played in november and december - after the group stages of the champions league but before the knockout rounds - it would mean starting the season a few weeks earlier and finishing it a few weeks later with the FA cup final in June

i can see the logic in this - apparently they can't hold it in January/February because it clashes with the winter olympics and one group of free loaders don't want to upset another group of free loaders, so november/december is the only alternative to admitting that they cocked up

it would mean starting the season a few weeks earlier and finishing it a few weeks later with the FA cup final in June

Would actually be held in July as in all of June virtually no domestic football can be played - the FA's own rules.

you obviously know more than the times does!

any idea why they have this rule? - presumably it can be amended in exceptional circumstances - it wouldn't make sense to have the FA cup final at the start of the following season!

you obviously know more than the times does!

any idea why they have this rule? - presumably it can be amended in exceptional circumstances - it wouldn't make sense to have the FA cup final at the start of the following season!

If they can move the World Cup, they can move the domestic time table. 9 years is a long time away.

any idea why they have this rule? - presumably it can be amended in exceptional circumstances

http://nav.thefa.com/sitecore/content/TheFA/Home/TheFA/NewsAndFeatures/2008/close_season

The FA could make "an order to the contrary" but I doubt that it would.

it wouldn't make sense to have the FA cup final at the start of the following season!

Which is what happened to the so-called Super Cup (something for the six clubs who would have qualified for the European club competitions in the 1985/6 season to take part in - but no-one really cared about).

The biggest challenge to moving the tournament is not going to come from the clubs, but from the media.

20th Century Fox have just signed the biggest ever TV deal for a World Cup in the whole American continent. They supply the US, Canada and Australia, three huge FIFA target markets. They are reportedly seeking a re-negotiation on the deal, as they were not expecting to have to compete with the Superbowl and the Winter Olympics in 2022.

I'm certain that when generations look back at football, the blatter era will be the darkest point. They have turned FIFA into their own little piggybank and taken football away from the fans.

The fact that Qatar were allowed to beat the Aussies and Yanks to the right to host the World Cup is just a complete embarrassment. Our bid only allowed for 2 venues in one city due to FIFA rules. Qatar has around 7 venues in Doha!!

Russia were the other selected host nation. A country where one of the richest teams in the world is located and their team have to fly 2 hours in each direction just to play a home game as the region is that unstable.

Then again. Look at the previous world cups, Germany bought the 06 World Cup when one of the judges whose federation had instructed him to bid for SA ended up choosing Germany instead. South Africa hosted the 2010 World Cup as FIFA said the tournament must be held in Africa. Essentially saying that the World Cup was coming to SA before the process even began. The 2014 World Cup is in Brazil as FIFA had said it's coming to South America and only Brazil ended up bidding.

Personally I think the host nation should be holder or closest country able to host it should the holder be unable to host.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31587649

Looks like it's going to be a winter World Cup... there's a lot of talk on the radio this morning saying that now the goalposts have been moved (summer to winter) then the selection should be run again.allowing all the other hopefuls that missed out another chance to bid..

Looks like it's going to be a winter World Cup... there's a lot of talk on the radio this morning saying that now the goalposts have been moved (summer to winter) then the selection should be run again.allowing all the other hopefuls that missed out another chance to bid..

I agree. As I said previously it is morally wrong, and probably illegal, to invite bids to provide a service and then change the service to suit the winning bidder after the bidding process.

There will have been countries with better human rights records that would have bid if they knew the service was a winter one.

Qatar's bid was effectively fraudulent.

With the final pencilled in for December 23rd :loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy: Qatar being given the World Cup in the first place is a bit like giving London the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Edited by CheekyBandit

Given all the potential issues regarding security and groups of religious fanatics that kill people in the middle east holding the world cup in the middle east does seem a little too much like tampting fate.

Not that I am have any interest in the world cup, the sport of football generally or the potential fate of it's followers.

Nor will I be having any sympathy for whatever may happen to anyone foolish enough to attend this event.

I do hope that those with children are well insured and that their insurance will cover them for being kidnapped beheaded or blown to bits after all why should those children become burdens on the state through their parents selfishness.

Given all the potential issues regarding security and groups of religious fanatics that kill people in the middle east holding the world cup in the middle east does seem a little too much like tampting fate.

Not that I am have any interest in the world cup, the sport of football generally or the potential fate of it's followers.

Nor will I be having any sympathy for whatever may happen to anyone foolish enough to attend this event.

I do hope that those with children are well insured and that their insurance will cover them for being kidnapped beheaded or blown to bits after all why should those children become burdens on the state through their parents selfishness.

Not to worry, the last World Cup in SA and the Olmypics in London and the Winter Olympics in Russia all passed without incident.

Just take a deep breath, and let go. As you say, you don't have any interest in the World Cup anyway.