Poor pedestrian walkway surfacing

Surfacing on Carlisle St East is being undertaken of the footpath...(.near my workplace)...but the workers are not taking the opportunity to make the area more accessible for wheel chair and push chair users by lowering the edge where appropriate. Such a shame when it won't cost much at all.

See pics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kaegk61614mwvnk/20130716_093226.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e1we1rg858re46/20130716_093252.jpg

Is the council not under obligation to make footpaths accessible?

They seem to have made adjustments when crossing the road just 50 yds down

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8otvcykfxvxo92j/20130716_093443.jpg

Edited by orangechoc

I have a feeling that Amey aren't obliged to do what to them is extra work although if the council wants to fund such things Amey would oblige. The easiest thing to do would be to contact one of the two access officers who work for the council and they might be able to explain the situation. If you ring 2734567 and ask to be put through to Brian messider as he is one of the officers

that's true amey are only doing basics and the council claim they cannot do any additional work so we have a chance to do a great job and put right things that need to be done but wont be done,we asked them at lowedges if they would talk to us at the festival that has a footfall of about 10-15 thousand but they said no so its sounds like they are not intrested in what the public have to say

Thanks WallBuilder,

I contacted Brian Messider. He referred my concerns to Amey. A representative rang me and explained that the workers complete work like for like. So if the kerb wasn't dropped for wheelchair users before then it won't be dropped when resurfaced.

However he did say that there is something which they term Opportunities where such changes can be easily accommodated. So explained that he would pass my info and suggestion on.

Disappointing that this clear opportunity to drop kerbs wasn't glaringly obvious.

It's glaringly obvious to most disabled folk but without a very large pot of money a lot of stuff wont get done. However if there is ever a new development such as a housing estate with new roads or refurbished roads then the dropped kerbs should be included as part of the package without having to ask for them. Developers don't always seem to realise this though so on one or two occasions i've had to pester some-one to come back and do the work correctly.

Success! (I think)

Got an email from council saying that "Amey will now look to install drop kerbs where they have failed previously".

Sorry for those who can't view the original pics, I removed them from Dropbox to free up space and now don't have them.

Well in a toss up between drop curbs for convienience or good roads for safety i wouldnt be choosing drop curbs.