Poorly guinea pig

I wonder if anyone can give any advice as I don't know what to do.

Friday 5th July I noticed one of my guinea pigs wasn't looking well. His eyes were sunken and he looked dopey. I watched him over the day and saw that he wasn't eating or drinking. Sat 6th at the vets I was given pain killer for him, recovery liquid feed and he was given a shot on antibiotics. They said he was quite underweight and they felt this had been coming on for a while but that they are good at hiding illness. I had to take him again the next day. He hadn't started taking any food or water himself but he had perked up a bit. On the Tuesday they decided to do a dental on him. He came through this ok and they said he would hopefully start to eat. It will be a week tomorrow since the dental and he still does not eat or drink by himself. I continue to give him the recovery diet but I don't know how long I can keep doing this.

The vets seem baffled and tomorrow when we go we are seeing another vet (yet to see the same one twice). At the point of the dental I was offered that or euthanise, last appointment it was he's gained some weight and perked up, keep going with the recovery diet. That was on Friday and he has made no attempt to eat on his own since then.

Has anyone had a case like this before? I really don't think the vets know what to do.

Thanks.

:/ i don't suppose it could be his environment could it. Don't know if that sounds daft or not, is the hutch big enough, is it getting handled often or getting a good run? Could the other guinea pig be affecting him???

I'm not vet but just a thought if all medical explanations have been exhausted??? Maybe he's just bored?

It doesn't sound so great does it? I wonder if because he hasn't eaten for a while he's lost his appetite kind of thing (grasping at straws here) I guess that you have tried him with all of his favorite foods? fresh green grass, curly kale.

The user *peaches* might have some other ideas to help.

I have been assisted feeding my guinea for the last week, he had an operation 10 days ago and at 1st I thought he was fine, then I realised he was not eating properly. The thing is that guinea's suffer stress so when they are already unwell then need an op they are quite vulnerable. Mine is now eating some on his own so not having as much critical care food but still not 100% but I think he will pull through. They do need to keep eating or they become very ill, very quick

I'm happy to have a look and give a second opinion of you'd like to pm me

Thanks for all your replies. I really don't know what the problem is. I don't think his teeth were the problem as after his dental they said they weren't that bad. He has been on antibiotics which would have cleared potential infections and he is on pain relief too. I have continued with Fibreplex and Recovery diet and they said I was doing well as he hasn't lost any weight. The last visit was Tuesday. Since then I have continued the above but all that he has eaten himself is a couple of dandelion leaves and even those I had to put the first bit in his mouth. We go back tomorrow and at the last visit she suggested that there was nothing else to do and he would have to be put to sleep.

I feel awful because he has perked up. I also have no idea how to explain this to my children. The vet says it's unfair on him to carry on like this much longer. I also know I can't keep up with this feeding indefinitely when he eats and drinks nothing by himself. I wish I knew what was wrong :-(

Edited by Corbyn

Thanks for all your replies. I really don't know what the problem is. I don't think his teeth were the problem as after his dental they said they weren't that bad. He has been on antibiotics which would have cleared potential infections and he is on pain relief too. I have continued with Fibreplex and Recovery diet and they said I was doing well as he hasn't lost any weight. The last visit was Tuesday. Since then I have continued the above but all that he has eaten himself is a couple of dandelion leaves and even those I had to put the first bit in his mouth. We go back tomorrow and at the last visit she suggested that there was nothing else to do and he would have to be put to sleep.

I feel awful because he has perked up. I also have no idea how to explain these to my children. The vet says it's unfair on him to carry on like this much longer. I also know I can't keep up with this feeding indefinitely when he eats and drinks nothing by himself. I wish I knew what was wrong :-(

Oh no thats a terrible shame :( did you let *peaches* take a look at the little one?

Oh no thats a terrible shame :( did you let *peaches* take a look at the little one?

Unfortunately I haven't had chance. But I'm not sure seeing him would make much difference though. He's seen 5 different vets at the practice now and they are all unable to say what's wrong. I guess I was hoping for someone to come and say they had a similar situation and all turned out ok. He hasn't eaten by himself for 2 weeks now though other than 3 dandelion leaves.

Is he still alive? If he is I'd strongly suggest letting me take a look, I had something similar and with intensive treatment brought him back round

Hi *Peaches* I'm not sure if you got my last message last night trying to arrange this evening. I have tried to PM you again today but your inbox is full. Please can you let me know if you still think it would be worth seeing him. Sorry to post it on the thread but not sure how else to contact you and he is due back at the vets Tuesday.

Thanks again.

Yes by all means bring him over, I'm in now

---------- Post added 21-07-2013 at 20:02 ----------

After seeing this poor lad, I am nothing short of appauled at the vets who have been treating him. They gave him a GA to rasp his back teeth, but failed to clip the front ones, so of course the rear ones regew! Total idiots IMO and purely after the money! I knew what was wrong wth him within 2 minutes, and clipped the teeth. Hopefully now the little laddo will put weight back on.

Just to update, after seeing *Peaches* we decided not to bother with the vets and to take her advice instead. Woody (poorly piggy) along with his brother Buzz have gone to stay with Peaches for a while whilst she, very kindly, tries to get Woody better. I only wish I had seen her before the vets. Goes to show that there are some really kind people around.

Whatever the outcome, we are very grateful. Thanks *Peaches*, your multitude of piggies are lucky to have you!! :thumbsup: