Tenancy credit check - a question

Just tell the agent you don't want to add her to the contract as she won't be living there permanently.

It's a rental property FFS it's not a massive deal if you move a girlfriend in halfway thru, there are plenty of other places to rent if they kick up a fuss - which they won't because they want your money!!

Just tell the agent you don't want to add her to the contract as she won't be living there permanently.

Yes- but do at least obtain L's consent for her to reside (or else you're committing a potentially serious breach).

My gf is moving in with me in the house i rent. we are paying through a letting agency. they are asking her to pay £72 for a credit check even though the rent share on the form is 0% as she is paying me and my wage covers what is needed to cover the rent. it just feels like we're paying for nothing. :confused:

Do we actually need to have a credit check for someone that is down as having 0% of the rent share???

staves charge £200 each for one. it's a rip off. it doesnt cost much to do a credit check with experian. i worked at welcome about 5 years ago and it was only a fiver then.

Yours is not to question why. If you want your latest fling to move in, that's £72 please. What do you think this is, a holiday camp. You have been entrusted with an asset worth a lot of money, your girlfriend could be anyone, a thorough credit check will verify her identity and any previous issues she may have had renting other properties. If she has bad credit, she's a bad risk. We landlords don't allow bad risks into our expensive properties whether you pay the full rent or not.

Glad your not my landlord.

its just money making for the agency , credit checks cost up to a maximum of £25.00

Why even that much?If they pay a monthly subscription to Experian.

---------- Post added 18-07-2013 at 14:33 ----------

You are paying for the persons time to collect the details, run the checks, ok it with the landlord, do the paper work, send out any letters, file it all away. What do you think time is, free? Does a tradesman just charge you for materials. :rolleyes:

Won't they be getting an hourly rate to do their job anyway?or do they only get paid when someone rents a property?

Edited by Total Chaos

Won't they be getting an hourly rate to do their job anyway?or do they only get paid when someone rents a property?

err.. where do you think the money for that 'hourly rate' comes from?

It is a business. Cash comes in, cash goes out, what is left is profit.

err.. where do you think the money for that 'hourly rate' comes from?

It is a business. Cash comes in, cash goes out, what is left is profit.

At the extortionate prices they charge, the profit will more likely be much more than what goes out.

At the extortionate prices they charge, the profit will more likely be much more than what goes out.

It has to be that way to weed out the non-serious applications.

If a credit check was £5, then everyone would apply. Very difficult for the agents to then recommend to the landlord a potential tenant.

Don't forget viewings cost money. Think how many random people phone up letting agents, looking at properties that they have no chance of affording. Hence the money has to be made back elsewhere.

The letting agent is protecting the property for the landlord. You have been credit checked and referenced, you have been cleared to live in the property. You can't then just invite some broad you like to live in the property without being credit checked and referenced herself, she might be a total nutjob, arsonist or furniture thief for all the letting agent knows. Besides, you might move out leaving her there alone if you break up which could lead to all kinds of issues. Anyone who lives in the property must be fully referenced and credit checked. That's how we landlords roll.

Totally agree with the above. If she has a bad rating the if he decides to leave so does she.

Glad your not my landlord.

No chance of that ever happening, you wouldn't get past my checks, they are very thorough. You see I check for attitude as well based on my gut feeling. So even if a potential tenant passes all the standard credit checks and references, if I get even a hint of bad attitude, they can forget it. Nice courteous people only get into my properties.

---------- Post added 20-07-2013 at 06:38 ----------

the profit will more likely be much more than what goes out.

You know when you go to the supermarket, well all the items you buy cost the supermarket far less than you pay...

I KNOW! Scandalous isn't it.

@ bhunaboy,

just get her to move in with you, and dont have her name on the tenancy,

if you 2 are still together when contract expires, then look for a more permanent solution,

but a place or look to local housing/associations,

The agency is just there to make more money, most of them are a waste of space anyway.

@Arrr Sez I,

Your attitude is not that good, you refer to his girlfriend/partner as a broad and then in next post she's a fling,

and you want nice people.

The letting agent is protecting the property for the landlord. You have been credit checked and referenced, you have been cleared to live in the property. You can't then just invite some broad you like to live in the property without being credit checked and referenced herself, she might be a total nutjob, arsonist or furniture thief for all the letting agent knows. Besides, you might move out leaving her there alone if you break up which could lead to all kinds of issues. Anyone who lives in the property must be fully referenced and credit checked. That's how we landlords roll.

Does your name depict what you speak out of???? You are rude arrogant and distasteful this forum is to try and help people not to belittle them and and be rude You need to be barred from this forum and go and vent your pathetic tarrades elsewhere

Does your name depict what you speak out of???? You are rude arrogant and distasteful this forum is to try and help people not to belittle them and and be rude You need to be barred from this forum and go and vent your pathetic tarrades elsewhere

I have vast experience in this sector, therefor I'm an educator, I am helping this person by telling them that they must inform the letting agent and ask for consent from the landlord to first agree to someone else living in the property and then put forward an application for credit checks, because if he doesn't, he is breaking the terms of his lease. And that is a very serious legal matter with serious consequences. The days of bad tenants doing what they like are over. Landlords are now submitting all their tenant information to online databases where other landlords can cross check everyone who applies for a property. Find yourself on one of these blacklisted databases and you'll never be able to rent a nice property ever again. I speak the truth, you just don't like it.