Serious Artists Wanted for Project

I am looking for skilled artists, the idea is to start a Gallery sharing expensis..rent ect. and display our work and hopefully sell.Please only serious people, or any other ideas welcome

Why?

Surely you would be better off exhibiting in established galleries where you are guaranteed footfall without the risks of leases/rates/overheads/insurances/staff costs/staff hassle...and so on.

Test the water first, if your Art is very good, then you will start to sell lots...and then open your own gallery just for your Art when it makes financial sense.

Good luck.

Its very expensive in established gallerys thats why i thought a group sharing expensis would be a better alternitive

Its very expensive in established gallerys thats why i thought a group sharing expensis would be a better alternitive

But it could be even more expensive if you (and another) take on the overheads (and future financial commitment) of taking on premises of your own. So, although galleries might seem expensive...it's because they have those overheads ;).

I'd still use an existing gallery to see if there is demand for your art. Accept a lower up front margin and learn the demand. Then you can have a serious think about the viability of setting up your own gallery once you know the revenue you can generate.

Why not rent out your pictures to businesses to display in their reception area. Negotiate a rental fee, regular exchange of art to keep them interested if they will display your business cards. You could do the same with smaller furniture shops, hair salons, hotels etc.

I have purchased both orginal art and limited edition prints via high end furniture and fireplace shops.

Rather than a gallery with expensive rent, why not start a group which hosts an open day, you print a leaflet with a map and people host their artworks in their front rooms (it works well if they're all within a small distance).

Hand out leaflets or put them up in Libraries and other public spaces plenty of time before the day, everyone can see each others work, look after the exhibits and can increase exposure, no hanging commissions as well : )

Rather than a gallery with expensive rent, why not start a group which hosts an open day, you print a leaflet with a map and people host their artworks in their front rooms (it works well if they're all within a small distance).

Hand out leaflets or put them up in Libraries and other public spaces plenty of time before the day, everyone can see each others work, look after the exhibits and can increase exposure, no hanging commissions as well : )

Yes I like that idea but with a shop in the right place you have a constant flow of potential punter thats was my thoughts

There aren't many galleries in Sheffield, and the few that are established are struggling - you need to sell a hell of a lot of prints and artworks just pay rent.

Let's use the galleries on Sharrowvale Road as an example. This is the sort of are which ticks the right boxes for a gallery: well-off middle class residents; student population; decent footfall; creative businesses; close to cafes and bars - 3 galleries are established there already. I don't know for sure how much they pay in rent, but we can use this small unit recently let as a guide, at £12,000 per year.

Now, assuming the items you stock retail between £30 and £50 each - silkscreen and litho reproductions rather than originals, you're going to have to sell 400 just to pay the rent. That's before you've taken a salary, considered staff - at the very least you'll need someone part-time, or factored any other costs into the equation.

It's not impossible, but a gallery has huge overheads and costs to consider.

The idea is ...to get a group of artists to share expensis of a lock up premises 30-50 pounds is ridiculas I am talking about artwork original my partner currently sells her work for anything between 500 and 4000 pounds, staff would not be an issue as the collective would take turns running the gallery no overheads apart from rent and electric. But thanks for you input

The idea is ...to get a group of artists to share expensis of a lock up premises 30-50 pounds is ridiculas I am talking about artwork original my partner currently sells her work for anything between 500 and 4000 pounds, staff would not be an issue as the collective would take turns running the gallery no overheads apart from rent and electric. But thanks for you input

£30 - £50 is the going rate for screen prints and reproductions. However, if you want to sell art valued at hundreds or thousands of pounds, then wouldn't it be better to push to be exhibited in one of the existing galleries in the city centre or elsewhere? They're already established, with a network of experienced people to draw on - and a sizeable mailing list.

I'd be interested to know who or what you have in mind to exhibit or sell.

We have done something similar at KIAC we have a gallery, studios and education space.

We are based at Kelham island in a run down warehouse. You are welcome to look round, just pm me.